Cameronbridge

The Cameronbridge Grain Whisky Distillery was founded by John Haig in 1824 and is the largest and probably the oldest of its kind in Scotland. The Tanquer-ay Gin, among other spirits, has been produced here since 1998.

Information about the Distillery
71 Bottles
Scotland, Lowlands
-3.056121 56.189635
Active
Diageo
1824
John Haig
Average tasting notes Tasting Notes
Calculated from 36 Tasting Notes
i
Nosing
Sweet:
Fruit:
Oak:
Herbs:
Zitrus:
Orange:
Herb:
Spices:
Heather:
Floral:
Sherry:
Vanilla:
Malt:
Pear:
Honey:
Tropical Fruit:
Lemon:
Dried Fruit:
Nuts:
Coffee:
Peat Smoke:
Apple:
Raisin:
Dark Chocolate:
Leather:
Pepper:
Lime:
Nutmeg:
Almonds:
Cinnamon:
Alcohol:
Chili:
Tasting
Sweet:
Spices:
Zitrus:
Oak:
Herbs:
Fruit:
Heather:
Nuts:
Malt:
Wheat:
Orange:
Herb:
Sherry:
Vanilla:
Ginger:
Chili:
Berries:
Lemon:
Dried Fruit:
Peat Smoke:
Banana:
Raisin:
Oil:
Grapefruit:
Almonds:
Cinnamon:
Alcohol:
Lemon Peel:
Plum:
Dark Chocolate:
Barley:
Hay:
Leather:
Pepper:
Tobacco:
Blackberry:
Floral:
Caramel:
Hazelnut:
Nutmeg:
Fig:
Honey:
Cake:
Mint:
Finish
Sweet:
Nuts:
Malt:
Wheat:
Oak:
Spices:
Peat Smoke:
Zitrus:
Fruit:
Alcohol:
Sherry:
Orange:
Coconut:
Hazelnut:
Herb:
Berries:
Lemon:
Chocolate:
Walnut:
Tobacco:
Oil:
Grapefruit:
Honey:
Chili:
Lemon Peel:
Details about the Distillery

The Whisky

Cameronbridge today belongs entirely to Diageo. The distillery produces alco-hol for many of the company's blends, but also has its own brand, the Single Grain Whisky Cameron Brig. The distillery has also been producing the Single Grain Whisky Haig Club since 2014, following the distilling heritage of the Haig family. The Whisky in the bright blue bottle was produced in a partnership with David Beckham.

The Production

The distillery was one of the first to have a Patent Still. John Haig, a cousin of its inventor Robert Stein, had it installed in 1829. To keep up with the latest technology, a Coffey Still was soon added. In the 1880s, records show that two Stein Patent Stills, two Coffey Stills and a Pot Still were in use. Cameronbridge produced both Malt and Grain Whisky for several years before turning its focus exclusively to the production of the latter.

To adequately meet demand, the custom-built stills, which have a capacity of 136 million litres, run 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The distillery draws the water for its spirits from Loch Leven.

The Gin

Charles Tanqueray, the namesake of the famous Gin, developed the recipe for Tanqueray London Dry as early as the 1830s. After testing over 300 recipes, he stuck with the four classic botanicals juniper, coriander, angelica root and liquorice. The original distillery in London was destroyed almost completely in 1941. Today, most of the production takes place at the Cameronbridge distill-ery in Scotland. Nevertheless, the Gin can be labelled 'London Dry', as it is not the origin that is important here, but the recipe and the production process used. 

Tanqueray No. 10 continues the original recipe. It is distilled in small batches with the four traditional botanicals of London Dry. The addition of grapefruit, orange, lime and chamomile blossom provides an extra portion of freshness. The name 'No. Ten' refers to the still in which the Gin is distilled.

Meanwhile, there are other Gins in the Tanqueray portfolio. The Tanqueray Flor de Sevilla Distilled Gin blends Seville oranges with orange blossom and the classic four botanicals. Charles Tanqueray received the inspiration for this Gin in Andalusia itself, where it took him in the 1860s.

The Tanqueray Blackcurrant Royale Distilled Gin combines blackcurrants with vanilla and a hint of black orchid. This Gin was created in reference to the French heritage and travels of its inventor.

The History

Cameronbridge was founded in 1824 by John Haig, whose family had a long distilling tradition. An ancestor of John's is said to have started distilling as ear-ly as 1627.

In 1865, John Haig joined forces with eight other grain distillers, including the owners of Port Dundas, Cambus, Glenochil, Carsebridge and Kirkliston. This alliance became the Distillers Company Limited (DCL) in 1877, which after many mergers became the Diageo of today.

During the Second World War, the distillery was mothballed. In 1989, a major renovation began, with a simultaneous increase in capacity. The renovation lasted until 1991.

From 1998 onwards, Cameronbridge not only produced alcohol for Whisky, but also hosted the production of Gordon's and Tanqueray Gin, as well as Smirnoff Vodka. In 2007, the distillery was further expanded as part of a £40 million investment. Following the closure of Port Dundas in 2010, Cameronbridge is the only grain mill owned by Diageo.

Visitor information

Cameronbridge Distillery
Windygates
Leven
Fife
KY8 5RL

Chronological rating history

User Notes about the Distillery

Share your experience with other whisky lovers. Write a note about your trip to the Cameronbridge distillery.

Max. 2000 characters. Exceeding Characters will not be saved!
There are no user notes for this distillery yet.