Moving on.

• Shawn_A_Anderson
    Topic creator
    Member Shawn_A_Anderson
    , edited December 27 2016 at 4:04PM

Just getting into the smoke of whisky. I have recently had the few HP 12, Benromanch 10 and tried a bottle of Laphroaig 18 and love them. I had a bottle of Bowmore 18 a year ago that i couldn't stand the smell or taste of, It was a sauna smell and burnt rubber taste. Oh I also had a Hazelburn 12 that tasted like meats that I didn't care for either. Just wondering what are the general flavor profiles of Ardbeg, lagavulin or some others and what might I like before spending. Thoughts of what I should try? 

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@FUBAR

I looked at your collection, it seems like you enjoy your sherry!  In addition, you don't seem to be too much of a fan of heavily smoky whiskies...I'm pretty sure you only like the Laphroaig because age has tamed the smoke that is so heavy in their younger expressions. 

That being said, I think Ardbeg and Lagavulin might be too much for you.  The Laga 16's smoke is heavy, but pleasant; if I was you, I'd pick up that before the Ardbeg 10.  However, seeing how you seem to like Sherry, the Lagavulin Distillers Edition (DE) might be perfect for you.  Lots of smoke, but the sherry adds much more complexity. It's expensive, however, so I don't know if you'd want to gamble it...

Talisker DE is more affordable than the Laga DE and is a definite recommend...it's also one of Horst's favorite.  If the concept of a salted, smoked ham wrapped in an old leather belt appeals to you, grab the Talisker, lol. 

Bottom line, I would get the Laga DE, but if the price is too much risk, get the Talisker DE.  BTW, if you have your heart set on Ardbeg, get the uigeadail.

• Shawn_A_Anderson
    Topic creator
    Member Shawn_A_Anderson
    Options

@kroman

What is your thoughts of Talisker 10, Oban 14, Lag 12 or 8 is all I have here. Maybe I'll just go with the Balvenie 12 single barrel.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@FUBAR

if you like a sweet dram with a bon fire smoke, try the Glenfiddich Cask Collection Vintage Cask. It's supposed to hark back to the old days when Glenfiddich dry their malts with peat. Its supposed to be lightly peated but it was heavier than I expected but still light compared to the Islays, and the sweet background complements perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised and look forward to it again, even though it doesn't have an age statement.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@FUBAR
    Talisker 10 is a good start to smoke in whisky. Talisker Skye would also work well.

• DaFin Member Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15
    Options
    Talisker 10 is a good start to smoke in whisky. Talisker Skye would also work well.

Yes. Totally agree. I started in peaty whisky with Talisker 10 and I think that was a good choice. If I would started with stronger smoky ones like Laga16 or Laphroaig 10 maybe I would have reject peaty whisky for a long time (or forever).

Now that I'm very comfortable with medium peaty whisky (talisker, bowmore, etc.) I'm thinking to move to more rock&roll with Ardbeg or more complex flavors with Talisked DE.

• Shawn_A_Anderson
    Topic creator
    Member Shawn_A_Anderson
    Options

I didn't have much for choices in my area so Talisker 10 it is, the Laphroaig 18 I have was a gift from out of country. First impressions well it's disappointing, light mouth feel not very complex and finish comes off short. It's good just not what I'd thought it would be, perhaps time on the shelf will help the bottle. Thanks for all your input peeps.

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

@FUBAR

Maybe you like to try Springbank 10yr. The peat level is moderate, it has an amazing complexity and a craft presentation (46% ABV, natural color, non-chill filtered).

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

• toddstevens4 Member Joined: 14.04.2016Posts: 23Collectiontoddstevens4s CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@FUBAR let the Talisker 10 sit a bit and oxidize some, I tasted it at a restaurant and it was very full and hearty. At 45.8% abv it might be good to stir up the settled flavor molecules that got used to their level of dilution with a touch of water. The mouthfeel may be lacking due to the chill-filtration, or some batch inconsistency. 

Todd Stevens
    DaFin liked that
  • Shmotch Member Joined: 29.11.2016Posts: 45Ratings: 0
    Options

@FUBAR

Talisker 10 is the perfect choice, comes in at around 20 ppm phenol, comparatively Highland Park 12 is about 12 ppm phenol, Laphoiag 10 and Ardbeg 10 at around 45-55...depends where you are, Talisker 10 is about $65 USD.  Bravo to Diageo for bottling at nearly 46%.