Blending

• Aussiephotoguy
    Topic creator
    Joined: 28.02.2015Posts: 1CollectionAussiephotoguys CollectionRatings: 0

I tried something the other day. Bought Highland Park 12 year and really enjoying it. Kinda like the very feint smoke at the end. So I added a few drops of lagavulin 16 into it. Just enough to add extra smoke but not change the flavour too much. Anyone else tried anything like this?

• Budgerigar_canalis Member Budgerigar_canalis Joined: 18.07.2014Posts: 50Ratings: 0
    , edited April 6 2015 at 2:51AM
    Options

I had a (peated) Finlaggan Cask Strength and didn't like it very much. So I used it for all kinds of "interesting" blending. It worked quite well with cask strength sherry-matured whiskies such as Glenfarclas 105 or Aberlour a'bunadh.

I also used it to "spice up" some lightly-peated whiskies, very much like you did with the HP and the Lagavulin. The difference was: I didn't like the original whisky, so I needed to take care not to put too much of it in the mix or else its "off-taste" would have come through too much. With a Lagavulin as an additive you almost can't spoil any whisky at all... :lol:

• voskarp Member voskarp Joined: 25.01.2015Posts: 21Collectionvoskarps CollectionRatings: 82
    Options

I have the Laphroaig Quarter Cask, and I don't like it very much. Too much hospital alcohol taste for me, I guess it's too young...

But when I blend it about 50/50 with Macallan 12 y o Sherry Cask, it's a great blend. The sherry sweetness takes away the bad alcohol taste.

• Heidjer Member Heidjer Joined: 05.07.2014Posts: 39CollectionHeidjer's CollectionRatings: 0
    Options
    "voskarp" wrote:
    I have the Laphroaig Quarter Cask, and I don't like it very much. Too much hospital alcohol taste for me, I guess it's too young...

Really? I love just those flavors about this whisky - it's what makes Laphroaig Laphroaig and the QC certainly has the most of it 8)

On topic: I like to blend a bit here and there, had a really nice blend from equal parts Glenfiddich 14yo Rich Oak, Edradour Burgundy Matured Batch 2 and an 18yo Glenrothes Single 1st fill Sherry Butt UCF from Signatory. After a marrying period of one year it tasted fantastic. I find that marrying is rather important to have a better result.
    Everytime I add whiskies to my living bottle I also wait at least 2 months to try whether I want to take 10-20cl into an extra bottle to make room for more. I'm really excited to try it next week since it smells really delicious right now!

• voskarp Member voskarp Joined: 25.01.2015Posts: 21Collectionvoskarps CollectionRatings: 82
    Options
    "Heidjer" wrote:
    Really? I love just those flavors about this whisky - it's what makes Laphroaig Laphroaig and the QC certainly has the most of it 8)

On topic: I like to blend a bit here and there, had a really nice blend from equal parts Glenfiddich 14yo Rich Oak...

I guess we just have different taste preferences; I don't like the Glenfiddich 14 y o Rich Oak either...:wink:

• Heidjer Member Heidjer Joined: 05.07.2014Posts: 39CollectionHeidjer's CollectionRatings: 0
    Options
    "voskarp" wrote:
    I guess we just have different taste preferences; I don't like the Glenfiddich 14 y o Rich Oak either...:wink:

It does seem so :wink:

• goalong Member goalong Joined: 04.05.2015Posts: 5Ratings: 0
    Options

i just finished my chivas 18 , it was quite nice,super smooth and the finish is very impressive.

i work for www.goalongliquor.com
  • schnazola Guest, Member schnazola Joined: 16.04.2015Posts: 31CollectionSchnaz's EmptiesRatings: 4
    Options

Chivas 18 is wonderful. Show me a man -- or woman -- who doesn't like it, and I'll show you a single-malt snob (who judges a whisky by what's on the label instead of in the glass).

Good is good. PERIOD.