Glenfarclas 15,17 & 105

2»
  • DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Marko_I Awesome! Thank you!!! 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Marko_I I've noticed that a great number of Ralfy's re-reviews receive lower marks than their first review. I wonder if these expressions have all gone done in quality, or has Ralfy's palate just become a bit more of a snob? I read about this somewhere. Someone was talking about how when we taste something we really like and then go years without it, it is often not as good as we remember because our minds made it out to be better than it actually was over the years. It very well have been Ralfy who mentioned that phenomenon actually, lol

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage I think anything that gets 88 or more will be very good!!Talisker 18 gets '94' in book i've got,but Glengoyne and Glendronach got low 80s marks...whichI totally disagreed with!!I think Macallan,although good,is vastly overpriced!!Glenfarclas is amazing value for money!

DramTasticVoyage liked that
    Options

@Ian_Crombie Agreed on all fronts. Macallan is very good but i wont pay for it. Not good enough to justify the price. Glenfarclas is fantastic quality at a great price. The book you are talking about, is that The Whisky Bible by Jim Murray? 

~Joel Rosenburg

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage No, its Michael Jacksons Malt Whisky Companion.He gives Glengoyne crap marks,I've just received a 12 yr old and Cask Strength Batch 5,actually wanted Batch 3 or 4,but Amazon screwed up.They are both very good.The 12 is green apples,oak,coconut,even my girlfriend quite liked it and she HATES everything whisky.Cask Strength very full flavoured,but for 59.1% abv,very tasty indeed!So...even the so called experts are wrong in my opinion,and I've only liked whisky for 1 year in September!!!

Options

@Ian_Crombie I envy you for being able or order whisky from Amazon! We get away with quite a bit here in America but ordering alcohol online isnt something we can do...yet. I'll have to check out the Michael Jackson guide. I bought Jim Murray's Whisky Bible because its small enough to stick in my shirt pocket when I go to the store. I use it to look at new bottles i've never heard of. It's been quite useful, although he and I disagree on quite a few things. And I also make my girlfriend try all of my whiskys hoping she takes a liking to one. No such luck. She cant stand any of it. Oh well. More for me I guess, lol

~Joel Rosenburg

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage I heard you cant buy alcohol online or even in a supermarket in Canada.Watch Whisky in the 6 reviews sometimes,he is a big Glengoyne fan!My girlfriend has said about some of my whiskies..."You should clean hospitals with this stuff"....."Tastes like a tramps socks"...she will stick to wine I think!!

Options

@Ian_Crombie No supermarket booze here in Florida either. I get so jealous when i see reviewers talking about buying a decent scotch at a grocery store! I have to make a separate trip for a bottle. And yeah, at this point I'm not even trying to convert my girlfriend to whisky. I just give her stuff I know she'll hate like Ardbeg and Lagavulin. She said "Is it SUPPOSED to taste like a house fire"??? :lol:

~Joel Rosenburg

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage My girlfriend said I smelt like an old ashtray after a Lagavulin 16!!!