Hello everyone - Looking for recommendations

• Skyforger
    Topic creator

Hello everyone!

I've read your forum for a while, but I never registered before, never thought I could add anything of value. I really enjoy a good whisky but I'm by no means an expert, basically because I have quite a 'dumb' palate :razz:

Long story short, I have to buy someone a Christmas present, and I thought a bottle of good whisky would be the perfect present. But since I don't know that many distilleries, I thought this would be a good place to ask for recommendations :smile:

From what I found out of him, his favorite whisky is the Japanese brand Hibiki (I assume the Harmony blend), so I would like to find something in the same range of taste. My spend limit is 50 euros, and I'll have to buy it in the duty free section of a German airport, so it cannot be a really obscure distillery.

Thank you very much in advance!

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Skyforger 

It's always great to have more people involved in conversations, regardless of your palate!

Why experiment and try to show off your knowledge of off-shoot whiskies for a christmas gift when you know that he likes Hibiki...? I would say that your best bet is to keep it safe, but special. 

So, my proposal would be Hibiki Harmony Master's Select.  The interesting thing about this bottle is that it's a travel duty exclusive; you can only find it at the airport the duty free, which works great for your situation.  Plus, it should be around your price range...maybe a little bit higher, but hey, it's special and he should like it.

Hope this helps!

• Skyforger
    Topic creator
    Options

@kroman 

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestion, kroman. It does sound like a good idea to get a bottle of Hibiki.

However this brand it is not that common in Europe, I'm afraid it might not be available at the airport. I would like to have a range of possibilities in case I cannot find this one (or the price is well above 50 euros, my friends are quite strict with this spend limit to not let this secret santa get out of hand)