I'm not sure what we have. Help please.

• ScottF
    Topic creator

G'evening all,

Last night my cousin gave me a call asking about an old bottle of whiskey he found. According to his girlfriend, this bottle was on display in her uncles bar and she thinks she remembers seeing it all the way back in the late 1950's or early 1960's.

As you will see by following the link, This is a bottle of Ambassador. The label is fairly deteriorated and the part of the label that states its age is faded and partially missing. The seal is still on the bottle. there has been a bit of evaporation but 80-85% of the scotch is still there.

We're trying to figure out particulars about this bottle and hoping the members here could help. We'd like to know age of the whiskey, if that's possible by looking at the label. I hope the ages for Ambassador came with different labels. We'd also like to know if this might be a collectable scotch and if so, what its value might be.

Finally, if it's not in the collectable realm, is this safe to sip on and if so, does anyone have an idea what to expect?

Thanks in advance for the help and here is the link to a pic of the bottle.
    https://flic.kr/p/PhkLYo

ScottF

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

@ScottF

I doubt that this bottle is of any interest to a collector. The bottle is in rather bad shape and it's a Blended Scotch. Collectors are mainly focussing on Single Malts.

The label is hard to read - could be a 6-year age statement? Or even 16?

I'd probably open the bottle and enjoy this 'blast from the past'. You never know what to expect, but remember that whisky was distilled for drinking - so why not open it and try?

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Alcoholic beverages typical stay good, if they have above 25% ABV. Seeing the level inside the bottle then I think, that it will still have enough ABV to be good. If you have a spindle to measure the ABV you would be safe.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com