What Are You Drinking Now?

• cato
    Topic creator
    Member cato
    Joined: 11.11.2016Posts: 6Collectioncato's CollectionRatings: 6
    In my Glencairn right now:

Glenturret 28 YO, Old Particular, d:1987/b: 2016, refill hoggie, 191 bottles, nc/ncf, 46.4% - subtle, refined, balanced. Delicious. 

What's in your glass?
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options
    had some buddies over for a session last night...
    cato liked that
  • Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

I just had a lovely dram of Ledaig 10yr which I fairly enjoyed. It's a very good peated malt - if you dare to look beyond Islay.

Usually, I have an open bottle rotation of about 10 bottles, currently including Balvenie 12yr Double Wood, Glenfarclas 12yr, Glenmorangie 10yr Original, Highland Park 12yr, Bunnahabhain 18yr, Lagavulin 12yr Cask Strength 2016, Chivas Regal 12yr and Jameson (for guest and mixing purposes), Four Roses Yellow and Hibiki Japanese Harmony. To enjoy the variety of whisky, I normally have at least 1 bottle of each region of Scotland around - plus 1 Scotch blend, 1 Irish, 1 Bourbon and 1 Japanese malt.

Slàinte!

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

catohwchoy2 liked that
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

Last night I had Sazerac Rye, and tonight it will be Yellow Spot. I'm also working on Glen Grant 10 year-old, George Dickel No. 12, Compass Box Great King Street Glasgow Blend, Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7 year-old bourbon, Palm Ridge Reserve (US craft whiskey), Paddy, Lot No. 40 2012 Edition, and Nikka Coffey Grain.

My open bottles usually include one of each of following: Bourbon, Single Malt Scotch, Tennessee Whiskey, Blended or Blended Malt Scotch, an American whiskey besides Bourbon or Rye, Irish Single Malt or Blend, Canadian, World Whisky (from anywhere except the big four of Scotland, USA, Canada, and Ireland), Rye, and Irish Single Pot Still.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
    cato liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

think I will have another go at that Glenmorangie The Tayne, finished in Amontillado Sherry.

• toddstevens4 Member Joined: 14.04.2016Posts: 23Collectiontoddstevens4s CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@cato I'm at work on lunch break, so no drumming here, later I'll sit back with finger of Tamdhu 10, a good sherry bomb for Thanksgiving eve. Noticing the astounding number of bottles people have in rotation at one time leaves me wondering; Does anyone worry about your younger whisk(e)y oxidizing and losing its intended flavor profile?

Todd Stevens
  • cato
    Topic creator
    Member cato
    Joined: 11.11.2016Posts: 6Collectioncato's CollectionRatings: 6
    Options

GlenDronach 14 YO Virgin Oak Finish; delicious well balanced dram!

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@toddstevens4

With around 10 open bottles at any one time, it takes me about 3-4 months to finish a bottle. I've never had one change for the worse during that time, but I have had a few change for the better. 

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@toddstevens4
    I had a bottle open for 5 years and that Clynelish did not lose the flavour.
    I have for example 12 bottles open right now but several of them are small such as 0,2l to 0,35l. And I save several bottles of various sizes so that I can pour over into smaller bottles when the level has halved in a bottle.

Yesterday I enjoyed a Glendronach 12 yo.

• Andyvans Member Andyvans Joined: 26.07.2015Posts: 34CollectionAndyvanss CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

70/30 mix of Lagavulin 16 with Glendronach 16 single cask. I like adding this Glendronach to practically any unsherried single malt right now.  The results are so good for my taste I stopped buying any other wisky, just stock up on Glendronach while it lasts (which is according to the supplier is almost over).

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

@toddstevens4

Be careful with peated whiskies - the peat level might go down if it takes a while to empty the bottle. I normally buy 20 cl bottles of Caol Ila 12 and Lagavulin 16 to avoid this problem and have the peat 'fresh'.

Other whiskies can improve in an open bottle due to oxidation - others not. Especially older whiskies are rather resistant due to steady oxidation over the years of cask maturation.

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<