Questions for Masterblender, Masterdistiller, ect.

• ben_2
    Topic creator
    Guest, Administrator ben_2
    Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92

Hello,

please post your questions for Islay, Jura and Campbeltown. If you didn't understand this please watch the video this Saturday.

I work for whisky.com
  • Glenben_2 Member Glenben_2 Joined: 02.10.2015Posts: 15CollectionBen's Whisky CollectionRatings: 1
    Options

Hello Ben,

It sounds like you have an amazing trip coming up! I am looking forward to watching your videos from Islay.

My question is for Laphroaig. What will the future hold for their 18 Year? I have heard that it will soon be phased out as the 15 Year has entered the market as it's eventual successor. Is this true?

The 18 Year is one of my favorite single malts and in my personal opinion, one of the best values on the market. It would be a sad to see it go but I understand the demand for single malt scotch whisky is incredibly very high and distilleries are having a difficult time holding on to older supply.

Sláinte!
    Ben

• Absorber Member Joined: 11.11.2015Posts: 12Ratings: 0
    Options

Hello Ben!

Actually what I want to hear most (if you find this question acceptable) is how and why, in the master distillers' of Laphroaig and Ardbeg opinion, 10yo expressions of these brands compete so well with Lagavulin 16YO? (I mean that even though Ardbeg 10yo and Laphroaig 10yo are younger than Lagavulin 16YO, a great variety of peated whisky lovers prefer them to Lagavulin 16yo). And on the contrary, could you please ask the master distiller of Lagavulin if he thinks that his brand needs to build up more strenghts against Laphroaig and Ardbeg or he is quite confident in its dominant (?) position.

Thanks a lot in advance.

If you find these questions offensive for the distillers in any way, could you please explain why? I'm an economist and thus I'm always interested in different brands' approaches to fair competition.

• ben_2
    Topic creator
    Guest, Administrator ben_2
    Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options
    "Absorber" wrote:
    Hello Ben!

how and why, in the master distillers' of Laphroaig and Ardbeg opinion, 10yo expressions of these brands compete so well with Lagavulin 16YO?
    If Lagavulin thinks that his brand needs to build up more strenghts against Laphroaig and Ardbeg or he is quite confident in its dominant (?) position.

Not offensive at all. I'm just affraid that we will get a marketing answer. I would prefer fact based questions, but I will have a try.

I work for whisky.com