Hello from Huntington Beach, California USA!

• normanlao
    Topic creator
    Member normanlao
    Joined: 13.08.2015Posts: 19CollectionNorm's CollectionRatings: 1

I am completely new to the world of Scotch Whisky and after doing a fair amount of research, I just completed my very first Scotch Whiskey tasting - Ardbeg Uigeadail - using this video: as my step-by-step guide as to how my first tasting should be.

As I try and broaden my epicurean horizons and palate, I have always been curious about Scotch Whiskeys and decided to do a fair amount of research to see what may work for me. I am a huge fan of red wines - mostly Merlots, Cabs and Super Tuscans and LOVE big, bold flavors so after a fair amount of searching, I discovered Ardbeg Uigeadail and just completed my first true Single Malt tasting - complete with Glencairn tasting glass. It was truly incredible as I did so while watching a YouTube video from an expert in tasting and teaching: I was astonished at the sheer complexity and the clarity of the flavors in this tasting; moreso than many of the red wines I have tasted. This was a 2 ounce pouring and tasting. From the nosing, it was powerful and smokey, reminiscent of woodfire, smokey bacon and that honest earthiness of the countryside. But, as instructed in the video, I cut the scotch ever so slightly with distilled water and that is where the complexity really reached new heights and the tasting was just glorious. I had NO IDEA that Scotch Whiskey could be this interesting, delicious and incredibly satisfying. What a wonderful discovery!

All I can say is THANK YOU for giving me the proper instruction and insight into my very first tasting. I am so glad to have found your video for this brand and your insight and instruction was paramount to the incredible experience I just completed with my tasting. I look forward to watching more of your videos and again, thank you very much for your expertise and detail in this video. Peace and Long Life!

IMG_0032.jpg 232.6K
    "I am a Ranger." "We walk in the dark places no others will enter." "We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass." "We live for the One, we die for the One!"
  • ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Thank you very much for this introduction and welcome to the forum.
    Have you already decided the next direction you want to go?
    A spicy Highland Scotch?
    A fruity Speysider?
    A sweet Bourbon?

I work for whisky.com
    normanlao liked that
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Wow, what a great post. Thank you for your trust in my tasting.

There are a lot of parallels between red wines and whiskies. Yeasts are working on sugar (grape vs malt) and produce a variety of aromas. Because whisky matures for quite a long time, there are also aromas in it coming from the oak wood. Wine makers switch over to barrique maturation also. Typically for a short time, but those casks are mostly fresh, so the transfer of aromas is higher and a season in a barrique cask is most often enough for wines.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    normanlao liked that
  • normanlao
    Topic creator
    Member normanlao
    Options
    "ben" wrote:
    Thank you very much for this introduction and welcome to the forum.
    Have you already decided the next direction you want to go?
    A spicy Highland Scotch?
    A fruity Speysider?
    A sweet Bourbon?

Hi Ben! And thank you for your welcome - I am excited to be here and to learn!

I really don't know where to go from my first tasting. I am open to any and all suggestions. I am confortable around the 60- 80 USD price range and would love to have at least 3-5 bottles at home to start building my collection. I look forward to hearing what you may advise.

Thanks!

Norm

"I am a Ranger." "We walk in the dark places no others will enter." "We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass." "We live for the One, we die for the One!"
  • normanlao
    Topic creator
    Member normanlao
    Options
    "horst_s" wrote:
    Wow, what a great post. Thank you for your trust in my tasting.

There are a lot of parallels between red wines and whiskies. Yeasts are working on sugar (grape vs malt) and produce a variety of aromas. Because whisky matures for quite a long time, there are also aromas in it coming from the oak wood. Wine makers switch over to barrique maturation also. Typically for a short time, but those casks are mostly fresh, so the transfer of aromas is higher and a season in a barrique cask is most often enough for wines.

Thank you so much for your reply Horst. Your video on the Ardbeg Uigeadail really set the bar very high for me. I took a huge leap of faith in purchasing that bottle, but it worked out ever so gloriously. However, because I think the bar was so high with my first tasting, I really don't know where or how to continue. What do you suggest I should do or choose in order to help further my education as a newcomer to tasting Single Malt Scotch Whisky and, as you may have read in the post above, I am looking to have at least 5 good bottles to start a modest collection within the 60 / 80 / 100$ USD price range. I would appreciate any further advice you may have to help further my education. Thank you and I think your video logs / vlogs are truly superb. Cheers!

Norm

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

I really enjoy the Lagavulin 16. But it is not a great far from the Ardbeg.
    Maybe you switch to a Speyside. Like the Balvenie. A very fruity whisky with orange notes.
    We just implemented the Flavour Search. You can just insert the flavours you want and get the whisky with the flavours.

I work for whisky.com
    normanlao liked that
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

If the Ardbeg was so favorable to you I would at first suggest some other smoky phenolic ones.

Lagavulin 16yrs (as Ben suggested) - very intense
    Laphroaig 10yrs (or Laphroaig Quarter Cask - more Oak influence) - quite 'stinky'

With these two you have malts from the major distilleries if the Isle of Islay on its south coast.

Then you might move forward and add some Ex-Sherry cask influence to increase the diversity. Think about a Bowmore like the 15yo Darkest. It it is in your price range, you might go for the 18yo.

After this I would go over to the mainland and have some milder ones, as Ben suggested.
    Macallan Sienna or one of the Glendronach range (12 to 18yrs) would be a good starting point.

If these aren't too weak :wink: then you may move on to lighter malts like Balvenie (12yrs) or even Lowlanders like Glenkinchie 12yrs or Auchentoshan.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    normanlao liked that
  • normanlao
    Topic creator
    Member normanlao
    Options
    "horst_s" wrote:
    If the Ardbeg was so favorable to you I would at first suggest some other smoky phenolic ones.

Lagavulin 16yrs (as Ben suggested) - very intense
    Laphroaig 10yrs (or Laphroaig Quarter Cask - more Oak influence) - quite 'stinky'

With these two you have malts from the major distilleries if the Isle of Islay on its south coast.

Then you might move forward and add some Ex-Sherry cask influence to increase the diversity. Think about a Bowmore like the 15yo Darkest. It it is in your price range, you might go for the 18yo.

After this I would go over to the mainland and have some milder ones, as Ben suggested.
    Macallan Sienna or one of the Glendronach range (12 to 18yrs) would be a good starting point.

If these aren't too weak :wink: then you may move on to lighter malts like Balvenie (12yrs) or even Lowlanders like Glenkinchie 12yrs or Auchentoshan.

Thank you again Horst for your suggestions.

I hope you don't mind me asking you too many questions, but it is rare that I actually get expert responses - from master tasters like yourself.

Regarding Ardbeg and Islay Whiskys - do fans of that boldness tend to stay in that range because other whiskys don't present the same strength and boldness in their flavors? I know that there is brand and taste loyalty with epicureans so I was wondering if this is the same for whisky enthusiasts?

Recently I watched a few of your videos regarding the Macallan 18 yr. Question: Is is REALLY worth the price tag because if you say it is, I will get it.

You had a very nice review of the Glenmorangie Lasanta and you recommended that it was a very good choice for a gift or for a newcomer who may not have the palate for a bold flavor like an Islay Whisky.

Also, I have set a budget right now of around $500 USD to start my collection. Of all of the recommendations you have given me - what would be your top 5-6 choices for a nice rounded collection with at least ONE collectible or really highly rated product?

Thanks Horst - and BEN - these questions also apply to you as well!!!

Thank you for your expertise and your patience with my inquisitiveness, but I find this all very fascinating and personally would really like to grow in to this as and educational experience.

Have a great weekend!

Norm

• 116520 Member 116520 Joined: 12.06.2015Posts: 90Collection116520s CollectionRatings: 42
    Options

Hello Norm!

normanlao liked that
  • Heidjer Member Heidjer Joined: 05.07.2014Posts: 39CollectionHeidjer's CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited August 15 2015 at 2:42PM
    Options

Hi Norm and welcome to the forum.

I started out tasting whisky about two years ago and Ardbeg Uigeadail was among the first twenty whiskies I tasted and now going 300 (thanks to the German forum infrastructure and the possibilities of mailing samples), it's still among the top 20 whiskies I've tasted.

If you want to try more sherried non-peated whiskies, I would not necissarily start with the 18yo Macallan since it is that expensive. In the German forum we're about to blind taste alternatives, but even without that, I'd recommend to try GlenDronach 15, 18 or 21yo or some older independent sherry cask bottlings that are still in the two digit price range. I haven't tasted any Aberlours yet, but the 18yo is said to be very good.

If you want to try different peated malts, I'd also recommend Laphroaig. If you don't want to spend too much it'd be the Quarter Cask, if you want to spend more the 10yo Cask Strangth (any batch) is the best regularly available bottle imho. A great expression if you can find it in the US would be this year's Cairdeas: http://www.whisky.com/whisky-database/bottle-search/details/fdb/Bottles/Details/laphroaig-feis-ile-2015-200th-anniversary-edition.html
    It's really the essence of Laphroaig.

I'm a huge fan of this distillery, so you may want to try the standard 10yo in a bar first, since the medicinal side of peat is not everyone's cup of tea.

normanlao liked that
  • normanlao
    Topic creator
    Member normanlao
    Options
    "116520" wrote:
    Hello Norm!

Hello from So Cal!