21yo recommendation please

• Robusto
    Topic creator

Hi all,

My roommate from college will be staying with me for a few days next month, and seeing how this year Mark's 21 years that we have been friends, I would like to pick up a bottle of 21yo singlemalt for the occasion. 

I know what is best for some may not be the best for everyone,  but would like some recommendations for a really nice whiskey for sipping around the fire, maybe with a cigar, whist retelling old war stories and such.

Would like to keep it under $300 USD, but may splurge a bit for something better....

Thanks

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Robusto 

I don't know what would go well with Cigar but Glengoyne has a good 21 year old whisky which is not to expensive.

hwchoy liked that
  • Ian_Crombie Member Ian_Crombie Joined: 11.06.2018Posts: 126Ratings: 0
    Options

@bedlamborn Glengoyne 21 is superb!!!100% first fill european sherry casks,so rather dark and full flavoured!Probably would go well with a cigar or dark chocolate!Think it got 94/100 on one review on youTube,so excellent stuff!!

bedlamborn liked that
  • DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Robusto Its not single malt and its not scotch, but Redbreast 21 Year Irish Whiskey gets phenomenal reviews from everyone and its significantly cheaper than most 21 year scotch on the shelf. I havent had the 21 year yet, but the 12 and 15 year Redbreast is to die for! Jim Murray rated Redbreast 21 "Whiskey of the Year" last year.  

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

bedlamborn liked that
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

I haven't had a lot of 21 year olds, but I'm sure the glengoyne would be great.  It's a very popular scotch for those "in the know".  It might be a little hard to find, though.  Plus, it's a 21 year old first fill scotch, AND in european casks...?  Proceed with caution, my friend, if you or your friend are uninitiated!   I'm inclined to think that the glengoyne might be a little "too much" for a casual drinker...that is unless you and your friend taste a lot of scotch.  Sounds like a GREAT dram to ME, but make sure you know what you're getting into with that one...A lot of people think "older is smoother", when that isn't necessarily the case.

A good alternative might be The Balvenie 21 Portwood.  I think it's a little overpriced (an issue that you can run into with older whiskies), but I would say that this might be one of the "safer" 21's.  By that I mean, it's an approachable enough for those who typically don't drink a lot of whisky, but still packing a lot of great flavors and complexity that a more seasoned drinker can appreciate.  Plus, it's an absolute classic...you can't go wrong with a classic.

Additionally, it comes in a nice display box, which definitely helps to make the even seem special, if you know what I mean.

bedlamborn liked that
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage 

Is Redbreast 21yo easy to find? Cannot find it among my retailers that I look at in Sweden and England. Because it is on the list of whiskies to try for me.

@kroman 

Balvenie 21 yo port wood should be within @Robusto pricerange. Unless it is much more expensive in the US.

For maybe a bit more smoother older 21 year old would be Knockando. BenRiach also has several 21 yo which can be interesting.

• Ian_Crombie Member Ian_Crombie Joined: 11.06.2018Posts: 126Ratings: 0
    Options

@kroman Not hard to find in UK...yes it is 100% 1st fill,european casks..obviously not an everyday whisky at £110 a bottle!Just watch the youTube review.It tastes great,but is a dark,full flavoured one of course..if you like wishy-washy whisky,dont go near this one.Balvenie 21 Portwood...at only a pathetic 40% abv and £130...what a con!!!

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Ian_Crombie 

Hmmmm...the one I have in my cabinet is 43% abv, so maybe it varies per batch.

As for it being a wishy-washy, pathetic,  con, I wouldn't go that far about the PortWood.  I agree, it isn't worth the money; in my opinion, most 21 years olds aren't.  But it is still very enjoyable as a casual, yet special event.  I think I remember Bill Lumsden, the master distiller for Glenmorangie, saying that this is his "go-to" Christmas dram (don't quote me, but I'm not far off)!

And this is one of the most important things to consider:  I don't know who the audience is.  I would rather err on the side of caution and assume that @Robusto and/or his friend is someone who enjoys a fine whisky every once in a while, but isn't a "hard core" afficianado that is demanding to have their palate challenged. 

Further, I get the impression that the event is to just sit back and chill out.  The whisky, in their case, isn't the focus...the friendship and bonding is.  If they were gathering to have a tasting and explore the world of scotch, you'd be absolutely right.  But in light of the spirit of the occasion, I still stand my recommendation.

• oldnavy Member oldnavy Joined: 01.08.2015Posts: 22CollectionThe chief's stashRatings: 0
    Options

@Robusto GlenCadam has a really good 21 yo. It goes for about $225.00

here in California. you may get it cheaper depending upon locatio

• DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@bedlamborn The RB21 is available at several stores where I am located. However, they are never sitting next to the other bottles. They are usually kept behind the counter or in a locked case with the other "High dollar" expressions. You might have to ask the clerk if they have it hidden somewhere. 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

Options

@DramTasticVoyage 

Since Sweden has an alcohol monopoly (SB), all products are in SBs internet site and only two Redbreast there But I think that the 21 year old will come back as they have sold out.

@kroman 

At a certain age I think most whiskies are overpriced today. I was lucky to find Glengoyne 21 on a sale for only 70 pounds. That price I found it be very good.