What is your holly trinity?

• Andyvans
    Topic creator
    Member Andyvans
    Joined: 26.07.2015Posts: 34CollectionAndyvanss CollectionRatings: 4
    , edited July 31 2015 at 10:43AM

I have to admit I am new to the world of scotch whisky but I feel like I've already discovered three malts that I would always want to have in my bar:

1. Glenmorangie 10 - simply Champagne at 40% abv
    2. Highland Park 12 - nice balance of everything what scotch whisky is about with heather notes as a bonus
    3. Lagavulin 16 - smoky, yet more balanced and sofisticated than other smoky whisky's I've tried.

I feel like these three malts "cover all bases" for every mood or occasion and wouldn't break the bank either. To me, each has something distinctive that makes them standout from the crowd. So if I were to limit my bar to only three malts, these would be my choices. For the record, I also have Ardbeg Ugidail and Glendronach 15 as well as some American bourbons in my bar but don't find them as interesting as the first three I mentioned.

So what would be your "holly trinity" of single malts if you were only allowed to have three options in your bar? Let's stay away from exotics and very expensive options (say over 150 dollars, euro, pounds)

BlancoVcgy2 liked that
  • Andyvans
    Topic creator
    Member Andyvans
    Options

Hmm, I wonder what was wrong with my question that caused zero replies? :banghead:

Anyways, I just wanted to follow up on my experience with Glenmorangie 10. My first bottle that made such a big impression on me was the one that was sold in "Christmas" holiday packaging. When I opened the bottle and smelled the cork it was truly like sweet sparkling wine. No smell of alcohol, just honey, fruit, sweetness. After that I bought another bottle, which was in a traditional box, and unfortunately there was quite a big difference in both aromas and taste. The second bottle had quite much stronger alcohol smell all the way until the bottle was half empty (which took about 2-3 weeks). The taste was also not as sweet and more bitter. Overall, I cannot say that I enjoyed the second bottle nearly as much as the first one. So I am wondering if this inconsistency is something that should be expected with any whisky? Or do they deliberately use some better batches for "holiday" releases and what I tasted from a standard batch will be consistent with any other standard bottle of Glenmorangie 10? Hope I get at least some expert opinion this time. :wink:

• voskarp Member voskarp Joined: 25.01.2015Posts: 21Collectionvoskarps CollectionRatings: 82
    , edited October 5 2015 at 8:57AM
    Options

I don't think there's something wrong with your question, but sometimes it's just bad timing or whatever, and this isn't a very busy forum.

I wouldn't say a bottle of alcohol is actually holy for me, but following your meaning I say:

1. a Bowmore (the 18 y o and the 15 y o Laimrig are the best I've tasted so far)

2. an Edradour (the Caledonia could be it) or the 15 y o Glendronach Revival (won't be around for much longer), or maybe a Macallan

3. Laphroaig 10 y o (haven't tasted the 18 y o yet). Sometimes I just "need" a Laphroaig... The Ballechin 10 y o too...

Blanco liked that
  • 116520 Member 116520 Joined: 12.06.2015Posts: 90Collection116520s CollectionRatings: 42
    Options

For me:

1. Macallan 18 years old Sherry cask
    2. Yamazaki 18 years old
    3. Taketsuru 17 years old

• Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    , edited September 22 2015 at 6:59PM
    Options

Lagavulin 16
    Laphroaig CS

Those two for sure. I cannot choose a third place. There would be too much...

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
    Blanco liked that
  • SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

I thought quite a while what i would choose - considering not choosing the more exclusive single casks or older vintages that I like so much...
    My chosen few in no particular order:

Laphroaig 10 yrs Cask Strength (whatever batch I could grab)
    Glenfiddich 18
    Dalmore 18

For me a trinity of peaty, fruity Bourbon cask and richly flavoured Sherry cask whiskys I'd never grow tired of - problem might be that they wouldn't last me any longer time... :cry:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • Glenben_2 Member Glenben_2 Joined: 02.10.2015Posts: 15CollectionBen's Whisky CollectionRatings: 1
    Options

Hi there!

I am new to the forum and thought I would start by sharing my thoughts to a great question. My "holy trinity", if you will, would be:

1.) Oban 14 yr: for me, a diverse flavor profile that pays homage to a variety of whisky producing regions in Scotland: the sweet, floral notes of a classic Highland malt with a hint of smokiness from the islands)

2.) Laphroaig 25 yr Cask Strength (2013 Edition: a special malt from an iconic distillery. One that I rarely open but when I do, marvel at the strength and vibrancy of something that has matured for 25 years. Perfectly complex with a finish that is unmistakably Laphroaig.

3.) Macallan 18 yr Sherry Cask: Simply beautiful. It's easy to get turned off by the price of Macallan these days, especially the 18 yr Sherry Cask, but if you take price out of the equation one cannot deny that this is a whisky that can stand up to just about any other. A fine malt to enjoy during a special occasion. Or if you can swing it, as often as you would like!

IMG_1058.JPG 592.2K
  • Andyvans
    Topic creator
    Member Andyvans
    Options

Thanks everyone who replied so far. It is hard to pinpoint any particular brand in domination among those that were mentioned but one thing that already stands out is a prevalence of 18-year maturation. I haven't tried any 18-year old whisky yet, but from those that are in my bar, I do cherish the most those of the oldest - Glendronach 15 and Lagavulin 16. Glendronach was not on my trinity list but it just suddenly "grew on me" over the last couple of weeks. I would still probably keep the Highland Park on my list as it does also have a distinctive sherry presence but less expensive and has a bit of peat in the palate too.

But now that my "whisky acquisition syndrome" is stabilizing and I can keep it under control :wink:frown:another modified term I am borrowing from photography forums, just like holly trinity), I think I am going to slowly "taste waters" in the pool of 18-year old drums (oops, no matter how I put this phrase it turns out to have nasty double-meaning :oops:smile:

• voskarp Member voskarp Joined: 25.01.2015Posts: 21Collectionvoskarps CollectionRatings: 82
    , edited October 5 2015 at 8:56AM
    Options
    "voskarp" wrote:
    I don't think there's something wrong with your question, but sometimes it's just bad timing or whatever, and this isn't a very busy forum.

I wouldn't say a bottle of alcohol is actually holy for me, but following your meaning I say:

1. a Bowmore (the 18 y o and the 15 y o Laimrig are the best I've tasted so far)

2. an Edradour (the Caledonia could be it) or the 15 y o Glendronach Revival (won't be around for much longer), or maybe a Macallan

3. Laphroaig 10 y o (haven't tasted the 18 y o yet). Sometimes I just "need" a Laphroaig... The Ballechin 10 y o too...

I edited the post and added the Glendronach 15 y o Revival; it's great, but discontinued...:cry:

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I have the whiskies, which are very important to me.

1. Glenfiddich 12 yrs (it was the first Single Malt I had in the early 80s. But it carried no age statement then.)

2. Macallan 12 yrs Sherry cask (I like that very much but unfortunately it is discontinued)

3. Lagavulin 16 yrs (because it is the most often sold Single Malt Scotch Whisky in my company - I earn my living it and it is wonderful intense.)

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • drabherb Member drabherb Joined: 12.10.2015Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

My Holy Trinity,

1) Talisker Distiller's addition
    2) Highland Park 12 years
    3) The Black Grouse

I just bought the Talisker 18 yo for a very good price below $100. I did not try it yet,
    but I think it might be a replacement for the Distiller's Edition.

Kind regards, Herbert