My very FIRST

• normanlao
    Topic creator
    Member normanlao
    Joined: 13.08.2015Posts: 19CollectionNorm's CollectionRatings: 1

Hello Whisky friends!

Last night, I conducted my very first formal Single Malt Scotch Whisky tastings with one of my best friends. I actually even downloaded and printed out the Whisky.com Tasting PLACEMATS which are AWESOME and perfect to help a first time tasting. These tasting placemats from Whisky.com were a HUGE help in the tasting process. Each glass had a number marker and you just associated the flavor profile (or profiles) below the glasses and you created a very comprehensive tasting!

The offerings for the evening were:
    1. Balvenie 12 Year Aged Doublewood
    2. Glenmorangie 18 Extremely Rare
    3. Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    4. Lagavulin 16
    5. Ardbeg Uigeadail

Each tasting was 1 ounce in a Glencairn Glass

Here are my nosing and notes as tasted NEAT:

1. Balvenie 12 Doublewood: Vanilla, honey touch of green apple and pear, no smoke, tapering finish
    2. Glenmorangie 18 : Orange Citrus creme, touch of peach and nutty, very understated finish
    3. Laphroaig Quarter Cask: Medicinal and aromatic smoke, salty, iodine, caramel, lingering finish
    4. Lagavulin 16: Aromatic smoke, spicy and hot, iodine and sea salt, caramel, very quick finish
    5. Ardbeg Uigeadail: Heavy smoke, peaty, chewy, salty and sweet ham and bacon, tart, long finish

Here are my nosing and notes as tasted with ONE Teaspoon Distilled Water:

1. Balvenie 12 Doublewood: increased fruitiness and creaminess
    2. Glenmorangie 18 : increased vanilla, almond and toffee notes
    3. Laphroaig Quarter Cask: more sea salt and caramel notes, stronger dried red fruit notes
    4. Lagavulin 16: more floral, more iodine and an overall more medicinal smoke, less spicy
    5. Ardbeg Uigeadail: lighter smoke and sweeter, a little stronger caramel and tobacco note

We did a complete and thorough tasting, with nosing notes, neat tastings and with a bit of water for ABV dilution. What an amazing and delicious experience! The GBut for me...the Ardbeg Uigeadail still reigns supreme! I think my sentiment speaks for itself. The Uigeadail was the very first Scotch Whisky that I tasted and it's been my favorite since.

The Balvenie was probably the most surprising to me and very enjoyable. I can see why it is a very easy introduction into tasting Scotch single malts. Glenmorangie 18 had the most impressive bottling and packaging, but sadly for me - the least memorable flavor profile.

What a truly fantastic experience and I thank Horst, Ben and all of you who suggested tasting options for me!

Until next tasting...

Norm

IMG_0103.jpg 287.7K
    "I am a Ranger." "We walk in the dark places no others will enter." "We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass." "We live for the One, we die for the One!"
  • normanlao
    Topic creator
    Member normanlao
    Joined: 13.08.2015Posts: 19CollectionNorm's CollectionRatings: 1
    Options

Another image of the event...

IMG_0093.jpg 267.1K
    "I am a Ranger." "We walk in the dark places no others will enter." "We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass." "We live for the One, we die for the One!"
  • ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Very nice to here. It is really nice to know that the work I put into this payed of with the end consumer.
    I hove you will have more great tastings with friends. These are the best.

I work for whisky.com