Hello from Singapore!

Topic creator
    Member 116520
    Joined: 12.06.2015Posts: 90Collection116520s CollectionRatings: 42
    Options

I just got a bottle of Suntory Hakushu 18 Year old as Father's day present for myself. I was fighting between myself to choose between the Hakushu 18 or the Macallan 18 year old Sherry Oak. I chose the Hakushu over the Macallan because I can get the Macallan at much lower price from the DFS which doesn't sell any Japanese whisky.... :banghead:

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

What is DFS. Googleonly gives me Deutsche Flugsicherung, which is German Airtrafic control. I don't think you got it from them.

I work for whisky.com
    Topic creator
    Member 116520
    Options

Oh... DFS is Duty-free shop. Besides liquor stores we all maltheads love to shop at DFS...

:biggrin::biggrin::D

"ben" wrote:
    What is DFS. Googleonly gives me Deutsche Flugsicherung, which is German Airtrafic control. I don't think you got it from them.
  • ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Ahhh yeah sure. Are DFS still cheaper than normal shops? I would have guessed with the new internet age online is always cheaper.

I work for whisky.com
    Topic creator
    Member 116520
    Options

Hi Ben! DFS is selling around 30-40% cheaper than normal shops here in Singapore. For example, you can get a bottle of Lagavulin 16 years at ard USD60 but the normal shops are selling it at USD96. It is always cheaper to buy from DFS in Singapore but you can only bring one bottle per person into the country.

There is a great selection of Scottish whiskies in DFS but there is no or limited other international whiskies...

I guess sometimes buying from online liquor store might be cheaper but there is a risk of loss mail/broken bottle during shipping. (Also, most bottles don't fit into my tiny mailbox. So, I guess I will have to travel to one of the post office to collect the item...)

"ben" wrote:
    Ahhh yeah sure. Are DFS still cheaper than normal shops? I would have guessed with the new internet age online is always cheaper.
    Options

woa. That's hard. We charge 49,90 € (55.89 $).
    But we don't ship internationally.

I work for whisky.com
    Topic creator
    Member 116520
    , edited June 24 2015 at 12:35PM
    Options

Wow! That's a good deal! People who can buy from you are so lucky! They can get as many bottles as they want without any restrictions at a great price.

I had some Oban 14 and Highland Park 12 last night with my 2 friends at a bar at Marina Bay Sands which costed me around USD16 a shot...costed us around USD160 for 9 glasses of those whiskies... we should have opened a bottle of whisky and drink at home....:banghead:

"ben" wrote:
    woa. That's hard. We charge 49,90 € (55.89 $).
    But we don't ship internationally.
  • Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options

Hi 116520!

Welcome to the forum! I would be careful with DFS Whikies. Imo some of them are the worst of the distilleries.. But that is only my opinion and refers to the duty free ONLY bottlings.

Dont be afraid of shipping! I have already ordered a lot and nothing ever got broken.

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
    Topic creator
    Member 116520
    Options

Hi Quin!
    The DFS in Singapore and Hong Kong has a very selections of whisky. I am not sure about the worst of the distilleries. You're right, they have some 'exclusive ' whisky only for sale at DFS. I have tried one of these 'exclusive' whisky, a Macallan Makers' edition with no age statement. It was good but I felt it was a bit overpriced.

"Quin" wrote:
    Hi 116520!

Welcome to the forum! I would be careful with DFS Whikies. Imo some of them are the worst of the distilleries.. But that is only my opinion and refers to the duty free ONLY bottlings.

Dont be afraid of shipping! I have already ordered a lot and nothing ever got broken.
  • thepeanut Member Joined: 17.08.2015Posts: 37CollectionThePeanuts CollectionRatings: 8
    Options

Hi 116520, DFS are quite cheap compared to other places in Singapore however I found some places that sell whiskey's or other liquor at a cheaper rate compared to DFS.

Whisky Lover, Experiencing new Flavors~