Why is Jamesons a blended whisky?

• James_H
    Topic creator
    Joined: 08.10.2014Posts: 24CollectionJames_Hs CollectionRatings: 3

Hi. Does anyone know where else, other than the Midleton distillery in Cork, Jamesons gets its whisky? Everywhere just seems to mention the one distillery and that made me wonder why its called blended whisky?

Also, wikipedia states that it is made from malted and unmalted barley. Does this mean there arn't any other grains used in the process? could it not be classified as single grain whisky or is this definition not included in Irish regulations?

Thanks. :biggrin:

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

The New Midleton Distillery had since last year three huge pot stills and two continuous column stills.

I heard that only barley is used as the cereal for the Redbreast Pure Pot Still Whiskey from this distillery. But this barley is used malted as well as unmalted. Last year they built a second still house and I am afraid, I was not there already. But I think that only whiskey from this distillery is used. But the different equipment and the two different types of production leads to this classification as a blend.

Perhaps one could call it a Single Blend.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • James_H
    Topic creator
    Joined: 08.10.2014Posts: 24CollectionJames_Hs CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

Ah I see, makes sense. Thanks for the prompt reply. Is there any chance you could review Yellow Spot or Jameson Gold Reserve in the near future, would love to get your opinion on them.

James

• 116520 Member 116520 Joined: 12.06.2015Posts: 90Collection116520s CollectionRatings: 42
    Options

My friend gave me a bottle of Jameson Gold Reserve. Really hope that Master Horst Luening can do a review on it soon.... :lol:

• marrinan Member Joined: 22.01.2019Posts: 5Ratings: 0
    Options

@116520 What's interesting, I think, is how they can call it "triple distilled" when it contains some whiskey distilled in a continuous still...