Macallan 18 sherry cask alternative?

• Azzurri81
    Topic creator

Hello everyone. I am new to this wonderful message board and a relatively new whisky lover...enjoying Bourbon the last year and a half and Single Malt's the last 6 months give or take.

My bestman has been a Single Malt enthusiast for several years now and I wanted to get him a special bottle as his bestman gift. I didn't really want to spend anymore than $150, but could possibly go up to a $200 max. I attempted to get some ideas as to what bottles he would purchase if he had an extra $150 or so dollars under the guise of me just getting into Single Malt's and wanting a nice bottle, but he named a plethora of brands and bottles that I couldn't keep up or remember any of them. I know he said he really enjoys sherry cask aged Single Malt's but really isn't that much of a fan of the smokey Single Malt's at this time. He did say that he enjoyed The Macallan 18 sherry cask several years ago so I was thinking of that or something similar.

So, does anyone have a recommendations for Macallan 18 sherry cask alternatives that are similar in taste? I hear Macallan's these days are not as good as they used to be so if that's the case with the 18, I wanted to see what other similar offerings there are?

Thank you in advance.

Marc

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

Hi Marc and welcome!

If you ask about good sherry cask alternatives you'll (almost) always get the answers Glendronach and Glenfarclas (even though it's been quiet here...:lol:smile:.
    To some extent this is absolutely correct - if good Sherry cask whisky means "heavy sherry influence) to you.
    My advice would be to look for more elegant sherry malts like Longmorn or maybe some Balvenie. That doesn't mean, Glendronach or Glenfarclas would be bad choices either - I'd just recommend something that isn't just sherry cask with no hint of the original spirit behind it (which, in strictly my opinion, both GD and GF often are). So, summed up as a recommendation, here are some expressions that might interest your friend:

Sherry Bombs:

- Glenfarclas 21 or 25 yrs. or maybe some independent cask strength bottling
    - Glendronach Parliament 21 yrs
    - Aberlour A'Bunadh

Sherry cask whisky:

- Balvenie Single Barrel Sherry Cask (lot of different expressions)
    - Dalmore 18
    - Glenfiddich Malt Masters Edition (very affordable)
    - Longmorn 1994/2014 The First Editions Refill Hogshead (some Longmorns also tend towards the "sherry bomb faction)

Hope this helps - if you get the chance beforehand, try some of them yourself! :wink:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Hello,

I also have some recommendations .
    I personally have only tried the Glenfarclas 25 years and it is superberb.

I work for whisky.com
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options
    "Azzurri81" wrote:
    So, does anyone have a recommendations for Macallan 18 sherry cask alternatives that are similar in taste? I hear Macallan's these days are not as good as they used to be so if that's the case with the 18, I wanted to see what other similar offerings there are?

The heavy Sherry influence is one thing. But Macallan has more to offer. Due to the relatively small pot stills the whisky has a more intense distillery character than most others. Glenfarclas owns pretty big stills. But they have the similarity of direct heated stills with Macallan.

Macallan is pretty much unique. I would suggest, that you have also a look at the Macallan Ruby and Sienna.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • 116520 Member 116520 Joined: 12.06.2015Posts: 90Collection116520s CollectionRatings: 42
    , edited July 17 2015 at 3:25PM
    Options

GlenDronach 21 year old?

• kok20 Member kok20 Joined: 15.07.2015Posts: 2CollectionShangri-LaRatings: 0
    Options

Glenfarclas
    25 Years Old 43% Vol.

Colour: Amber with dark gold highlights.

Nose: Complex, yet refined, delicately peated, with fresh tempting aromas of marmalade, honey, freshly ground coffee, sherry and nuts. Some oaky tannins.

Flavour: Full-bodied and robust, the sherry and the oak fight for your attention yet neither is overpowering. A powerful nutty smokiness.

Finish: Intense, long lasting, dry smoky and malty. A beautiful dark Belgium chocolate taste at the back of your mouth to complete the flavour of the 25 Years Old.

Comment: A great after-dinner whisky so rich and full that it is a dessert in itself, with a finish that goes on forever.

‎”I wish to live to 150 years old, but the day I die, I wish it to be with a cigarette in one hand and a glass of whiskey in the other.”
  • Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options

I would also say that especially Macallans mouthfeel is extremely unique. You wont find that elsewhere. I you need this, then try the Sienna or Ruby.

If you just like that Style of fruityness you can go for older Glendronach, Glengoyne or some certain Mortlachs.

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
  • 116520 Member 116520 Joined: 12.06.2015Posts: 90Collection116520s CollectionRatings: 42
    Options

I have tasted the Macallan 18 year old Sherry cask recently, I must say it is so good! May I know is this 18yr old discontinued or they are still in production? Thank you.

• Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options
    "116520" wrote:
    I have tasted the Macallan 18 year old Sherry cask recently, I must say it is so good! May I know is this 18yr old discontinued or they are still in production? Thank you.

They just dont sell it everywhere. Afaik yyou can still buy it at least in Russia and Asia. In Europe there is only the 1824 Series for sale. Dont know about the US and elsewhere..

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english