Terrible whisky

• iankahr
    Topic creator
    Member iankahr

Hi folks, I'm new to single malts and to establish a threshold of taste, thought it would be beneficial to try what are generally accepted to be the worst, terrible, awful single malts produced. Could I get a few suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    John

• Budgerigar_canalis Member Budgerigar_canalis Joined: 18.07.2014Posts: 50Ratings: 0
    Options

I guess one of the universally most despised single malts is the blue NAS (no age statement) Loch Lomond. It's actually not very good, but at that price it's still OK. It's defnitely one of the cheapest single malts on the market, so there's not a lot of bang for your buck, but there's also not a lot of buck. :lol:

In general, most cheap (or even not so cheap) NAS beginners' malts are frowned upon by advanced single malt enthusiasts.

On a more personal note, I would strongly advise against the Bunnahabhain 12 unless you're into exhaust emissions. Only if your daily routine starts with sniffing the exhaust pipe of your vintage car would I recommend this single malt to you. :wink:

And don't buy the Deanston Virgin Oak. It's got a terrible off-flavor that you won't be able to get out of your mouth for hours to come...

iankahrmanchie2 liked that
  • Durning Member Joined: 16.04.2015Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

My absolute least-liked is Springbank 10 Year-old. Hated it. Tasted a bit like the PEG you have to drink before a colonoscopy. Again, just my opinion. A number of my friends really like it, though.

• schnazola Guest, Member schnazola Joined: 16.04.2015Posts: 31CollectionSchnaz's EmptiesRatings: 4
    Options
    I guess one of the universally most despised single malts is the blue NAS (no age statement) Loch Lomond.

Speaking of which . . . .

There is a second label of Loch Lomond called "Distillery Select." I had one of them once. Not sure if they still make it. I don't recall much about it except that it was a 13yo and it sucked. I mean, it was awful; it may have been the single worst spirits-tasting experience I have ever endured. I could not choke it down.

That's my low bar for whisky/whiskey.

• Budgerigar_canalis Member Budgerigar_canalis Joined: 18.07.2014Posts: 50Ratings: 0
    Options
    "Budgerigar_canalis" wrote:
    On a more personal note, I would strongly advise against the Bunnahabhain 12 unless you're into exhaust emissions. Only if your daily routine starts with sniffing the exhaust pipe of your vintage car would I recommend this single malt to you. :wink:

I must revise my statement regarding the Bunna 12. Those sulphur/exhaust gas notes only occur in some batches of the Bunnahabhain 12 yo. A friend of mine had me blindtaste his batch, and there were no "stinky" aromas at all. I couldn't believe I had just drunk a Bunna 12. So the next time I visited him, I brought a sample of my batch, and we cross-tasted them. Well, my sample was muchdarker and had those dirty notes while his sample had none of them. Strange indeed...

• Phillip Member Phillip Joined: 23.04.2015Posts: 1CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

Bite your tongue sir! :smile:

I love the Bunnhabhain 12! It's a wonderful, flavourful and complex malt that doesn't break the bank. It's a real study in what happens when you take malted barley spirit and age it in ex-bourbon oak for 12 years. Just the Malt Ma'am, just the Malt :biggrin:

If you want to talk about sniffing exhausts then look at all the peat monsters that are currently in vogue. The Bunna 12 is unpeated though I have heard of batches that have a touch of peat but I'm talking about 3-5 ppm phenols.

schnazola liked that
  • Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options

Ive made the same experiance with Bunna 12. First one was really like exhaust and stuff like that. Now i like it.

Really terrible were the following to me:
    Balcones Brimstone
    Dalmore 18
    An-Cnoc Cutter
    Bushmills 21
    Octomore 6.1
    all Bowmores i had
    all Connemaras i had

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
  • dramman Member Joined: 25.09.2015Posts: 4Collectiondrammans CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited October 8 2015 at 3:47AM
    Options

And don't buy the Deanston Virgin Oak. It's got a terrible off-flavor that you won't be able to get out of your mouth for hours to come...

Hmmmm..I've been gradually tasting down a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12 and like it. Malt and chocolate notes for me. Also, the "ghost"* is a pleasure to nose. I will say there is a note of oiled canvas or oiled sisal twine used for baling hay in my youth or a light machine oil note (not a motor oil, but a household/sewing machine oil).

I found Deanston 12 to be very disappointing and lacking complexity.

* the "ghost" of a whisky is the term I use for the nose of the unwashed glass the next day.

• Art_2 Member Art_2 Joined: 08.08.2014Posts: 23Ratings: 0
    Options

Here's a reply that won't be universally agreed upon: Lagavulin 16.

I bought my first ever bottle this summer - and it was a huge disappointment. Surprised, I went online to look for some recent reviews and comments and found out that the latest comments (2015) were confirming my suspicion that all is not right here. I found a handful of comments expressing their disappointment with the legendary Lagavulin 16.

The peat was weak. It was as if shackled somewhere far in the back. There was too much bitter oak influence. It was difficult to get any truly enjoyable flavors out of it. I drank it both neat and with a drop of water. I can't help thinking that Lagavulin have had more demand for this widely-available whisky than actual quality casks to satisfy that demand in 2015.

Other than that, I've found Bowmores disappointing and a couple of others off the top of my head that didn't present a good price-to-quality ratio were Jura 16, Auchentoshan Three Wood, Glenmorangie 12 and Tobermory 15.

• 116520 Member 116520 Joined: 12.06.2015Posts: 90Collection116520s CollectionRatings: 42
    Options

After watching the latest review, I think Fujikai is one of those terrible whisky...lol..

• PortEllen34 Member PortEllen34 Joined: 28.10.2015Posts: 4CollectionMy collectionRatings: 0
    Options

Hi all,

We did a whisky tasting in Scotland, Dufftown and tried a variety of the Singleton's (Tailfire and Sunray). So far I think those were the most boring whiskies I've ever had - maybe not terrible but plain and depthless. At least they're really cheap.

Cheers