Favorite International Whisky?

• LiquorList Member LiquorList Joined: 23.03.2015Posts: 11Ratings: 0
    Options
    "Xounlistedxox" wrote:
    I'm well aware of all of this. You are missing the point of my post completely. I explained in detail the point in an above post. I will re-iterate. In Scotland you can make Scotch. Scotch has to be made a certain way by law. Bourbon comes from the USA, bourbon also has a strict way it must be made. Whisky(ey) from other places around the world may or may not have rules/laws for their whiskey, so they have more freedom to try different things. This is why I excluded categories as I did.

Ah, gotcha. Ok. Thanks for clarifying that for me. You've got me curious now. I'm going to do a search on that very topic. Interesting point.

Look for your next rare beverage at www.LiquorList.com
  • goalong Member goalong Joined: 04.05.2015Posts: 5Ratings: 0
    Options

i tried a Taiwan whisky named kavalan, you cant imagine it is just matured 3-5 years in cask but tastes nice.

i work for www.goalongliquor.com
  • 116520 Member 116520 Joined: 12.06.2015Posts: 90Collection116520s CollectionRatings: 42
    , edited June 12 2015 at 7:27PM
    Options

Nikka Taketsuru 17 year old is my true love. Better than many single malt whisky. Very smooth. Espresso... and love that smoky after taste... yummy...

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options
    "116520" wrote:
    Nikka Taketsuru 17 year old is my true love. Better than many single malt whisky. Very smooth. Espresso... and love that smoky after taste... yummy...

Haven't cracked open my bottle of the 17 year old yet, but tried the 12 year old (nice, but not outstanding) and the 21 year old (one of my favourites).
    Looking forward to try Taketsuru 17 then... :wink:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • 116520 Member 116520 Joined: 12.06.2015Posts: 90Collection116520s CollectionRatings: 42
    Options

I am just the other way round of your experience. Having my third bottle of the 17 and have not opened my 12 yet. How I wish I can taste or own a bottle of the 21 as the price of 21 has skyrocketed to around USD1000 here...

"SanctTom" wrote:
    Haven't cracked open my bottle of the 17 year old yet, but tried the 12 year old (nice, but not outstanding) and the 21 year old (one of my favourites).
    Looking forward to try Taketsuru 17 then... :wink:
  • PortEllen34 Member PortEllen34 Joined: 28.10.2015Posts: 4CollectionMy collectionRatings: 0
    Options

I think the Kavalan's kick your butts - I bought my friend a bottle of Solist Sherry for his birthday and it's an amazing sherry bomb!

Yamazaki 12 is a great pick too, no need to spend a ton of money on the 18 yo.

Same with the Hibiki - I think the 12 and 17 yo are great.

Surprisingly good was the Guglhof TauernRogg from Austria if you can find it:

Has anyone tried the Mackmyra from Sweden? I hear they are solid.

Cheers

• Budgerigar_canalis Member Budgerigar_canalis Joined: 18.07.2014Posts: 50Ratings: 0
    Options
    "PortEllen34" wrote:

I've tried one once. I'd say "solid" is a pretty fitting description.

• astroke Member Joined: 14.11.2015Posts: 3Ratings: 0
    Options

Being Canadian it is difficult to consider Canadian Whiskey International.I do have numerous Canadian Whiskies I enjoy but most premium Canadian Whiskey is not available outside of Canada.
    Highwood Ninety (90 proof) 20 years old ($49)
    Wiser's Legacy
    Lot 40
    Masterson's 10 year Rye
    Canadian Rockies Rye 21 years
    Century 21 (years)
    Canadian Club 20 years
    Godderham & Worts 4 grain, 90 proof (recently introduced and excellent)
    Danfield's 21 Years
    Collingwood 21 years (100% Rye, sadly gone)
    Some of the Forty Creek Limited editions

Indian;
    Amrut Bourbon Cask

• Glenben_2 Member Glenben_2 Joined: 02.10.2015Posts: 15CollectionBen's Whisky CollectionRatings: 1
    Options
    "PortEllen34" wrote:
    I think the Kavalan's kick your butts - I bought my friend a bottle of Solist Sherry for his birthday and it's an amazing sherry bomb!

Yamazaki 12 is a great pick too, no need to spend a ton of money on the 18 yo.

Same with the Hibiki - I think the 12 and 17 yo are great.

Surprisingly good was the Guglhof TauernRogg from Austria if you can find it:

Cheers

You are forgetting the lightly peated Hakushu 12 Year!

• ctome3 Member Joined: 14.11.2015Posts: 5Collectionctome3s CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

I was in Australia last week and had a chance to try Nant Whisky. It was very nice! And what was even better was the chance to do a flight of it with three different finishes: one was finished in sherry barrels, one in port barrels and one in bourbon barrels. I had no idea that the finish would make THAT much of a difference in the final product. The sherry finish was my favorite of the three, but each had some interesting things going on.