Fermentation

• Kraftworks
    Topic creator
    Member Kraftworks

Hi I am trying to better understand the impact of overall flavour that changes to fermentation can have , any thoughts on the matter?

• Budgerigar_canalis Member Budgerigar_canalis Joined: 18.07.2014Posts: 50Ratings: 0
    Options

Here's an overview on the chemical processes etc.

http://www.whisky.com/information/knowledge/production/details/from-the-grain-to-alcohol.html

I guess an important flavor factor are the yeasts.

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    , edited June 8 2015 at 7:06AM
    Options

You might also be interested in this:

Whiskyscience Blog

Excellent source for matters like this!

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

From my point of view we have two big factors and that is the strain and the speed. If you use a strain from 100 years back. You get a whisky that tastes similar to whisky 100 years ago. But if you use a brand new distillers yeast you get the best of what is possible today. The worst you can do is to capture yeasts from the air. This is how fermentation was carried out over a 1000 years ago. The beer tasted horrible.

The second big thing is the speed. If you just put in your yeast you get a fast conversion into alcohol and a lot unwanted side-parts. But if you limit the yeast to lets say 28° or 30°C, then you have slower growth and less side-products.

Although it is a taste thing so some people might enjoy some of the flavors that I don't like.

I work for whisky.com
    schnazola liked that