Best Budget Single Malt - Scotch

• TomasNyman
    Topic creator
    , edited December 26 2021 at 8:18AM

Hey, im having small party with friends and im looking for budget,easy drinking Single malt. Price point abaut 30-50€.

i know this isnt much for single malt...but give your own favorite picks. 

thanks.

-Tomas

• Mondo_Limbo Member Joined: 19.08.2021Posts: 5Ratings: 0
    Options

@TomasNyman I like the Islays which not everyone finds to be "easy drinking", but Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig 10 are in your price range and are both excellent.  Another to consider might be Glenfiddich 14 year bourbon barrel, one of the few non-peated bottles that I really love

• Noodles_2 Member Noodles_2 Joined: 23.03.2017Posts: 41CollectionThe Noodles CollectionRatings: 27
    Options

@Mondo_Limbo Definitely agree with the Laphroaig 10 recommendation, but unfortunately, they are approaching $65 USD in the states these days. The world is catching on to the fact that Laphroaig 10 was the "best kept secret" and now that the secret is out, they aren't the "budget" bottle anymore!

• b7an7o Member Joined: 24.02.2022Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

Hi there.

New to the forum so this is my  first post or contribution.Hello guys.

Definitely a whiskey novice in terms of knowledge, but eager to learn. I have always liked Glenlivet 10. It’s got a lovely vanilla smooth, non smoky quality. I believe  this is typical of Islays? Historically  I am not a fan of the super peaty smoky flavour, so prefer smooth. I might take Mondo up on his suggests of Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig 10. I thought the Laphoaig 10 was one of the peaty smokey ones? The Glenlivet 10 has been a favourite, that is until my  most recent bottle, smooth as paint stripper!

Whether they have just tweaked the recipe or my taste buds have changed, this particular bottle was terrible.  Wondering if anyone else has noticed a change or I just happened to get a bad bottle? It was far from smooth, I almost tipped it out. Had I bought from the Supermarket I’d of returned it. It was from Amazon. Never buying booze from them again.

I do mix my scotch with coke, ginger ale, soda water such as Perrier or Pellegrino, extremely  frowned upon I’m sure! I can still taste and enjoy the whiskey through the soda!  Neat anything is not pleasant for me, and especially with Scotch, it needs a little water for the flavours to come out. I know I’m going to get hated for suggesting mixing with Coke! Honestly I can still taste the Scotch and appreciate it. Mixing with Soda water surely is acceptable?

Im hoping my next Glenlivet 10  will be a return to form. A comparison to Glenlivet 10 would be Glenmorangie, but out of the two I’d prefer the former. Has anyone else had a bad bottle of Glenlivet 10 recently? It was really disappointing.

Good luck with the party!