Building a modest collection and 103 distillery challenge

• rnclapp
    Topic creator

So I am 60 and retired and am late to the party in terms of Whisky enjoyment.  Up until now my collection consisted of either a Blended Scotch or a Glenfiddich single malt. I set myself the task of really getting to know whisky and in particular single malt scotch.  I have however tried a selection of English, Welsh, Irish, Indian, Japanese, Bourbon and Canadian as well as single rye, wheat and corn and blended grain (Compass Box Hedonism)

Firstly I did some research; 131 active distilleries of which 103 have their own brand. Next I used Dr Wishart's flavour analysis as modified by Selfbuilt Whisky Analysis.com to categorise a representative example from each distillery into the grouping A, B, C...J

I then set my self the task of trying one whisky from each distillery by either buying miniatures, samples, small 20cl bottles, buying a tot in a pub or restaurant etc

I then plan to buy my favourite whisky from each group taking into account cost, and region to ensure that each group is a different distillery and I cover all 6 regions. I should end up with 9-12 bottles in my modest collection. I am not afraid of low cost NAS at £22 but I am not willing to spend more than around £60 on any one bottle due to the law of diminishing returns past that point (in my opinion). I am willing to pay a premium to try a tot of some of the more expensive whiskies in a pub e.g. Aberlour A'bunadh or an Octomore

I started in Feb 21 and so far I have tried 60 different distillery whiskies!  Although I have 43 to go (some of which will be hard to achieve), My rudimentary collection includes (or plans to include):

A Glendronach 12 Highland or Balvenie 12 Double Wood Speyside

B Aberlour 12 Speyside

C Tullibardine 500 Highland

E  Old Pulteney 12 or Dalmore 12 Highland

F Deanston 12 or Glen Garioch 12 Highland

G Kilkerran 12 Campbeltown

H Auchentoshan American Oak (or Virgin Oak) Lowland

I Talisker 10 Island (or Oban 14 Highland or Caol Ila 12 Islay)

J Ardbeg 10 or Port Charlotte 10 plus Lagavulin 16 all Islay 

Notable absenses include Glenfiddich, Glenlivet and Macallan! 

I am probably missing a trick by excluding more aged whiskies 18 yo + 

I am quite comfortable with either a heavily sherried, heavily peated or the lightness of a triple distilled lowland lady.

Slàinte mhath

• JBlanc197 Member Joined: 29.09.2021Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

@rnclapp You are truly a meticulous person.  You have a scientific approach to this whisky search.  The problem is that whisky is a product that is difficult to assess due to our own individual tastes (and wallets).  I also started on blended Scotch like Johnnie Walker and the single malt was Genfiddich 12.  In my experience, and after about ten years of trial and error, and doing a whisky tour in Scotland, I have been able to whittle down my favorite whisky areas, to Speyside, Western Highlands (my category), Skye, and Orkney Islands.  within those I have my favorite distilleries, and favorite expressions.  I have now acquired bottles anywhere from $23 to $700.00.  If you take everything into consideration, and if you put my life on the line, I would say that the best bang for the buck and best all around whisky is likely the Balvenie 12 Doublewood.  Yes the 21 is better but not for $220.  But hey, everyone has different tastes.  I have also found that the 18 year to 21 yr is the sweet spot for whisky.  Yes I have a few 25's 28, and 30s but that is for show.  I can't get into heavily peated whiskies like Octomore, even though the "illuminati" will brow beat you into submission if you don't goosestep in line  and kneel on the Ardbeg temple. I'm sorry, I can't get into the cow dung nose of those.   I like the Bunnahabain 18 and Bowmore 15-18 which are slightly peated expressions.  I can't get into Macallans despite owning an 18, a rare cask and 1-6 of the special editions. because of their exaggerated prices.  Of the group that you mention, I would say the Glendronach, Dalmore, Balvenie, are head and shoulders above the rest.  I have found that most expressions from Dalmore and Glendronach are great and consistent, but overpriced.  I used to buy the Dalmore 18 for $125 and it is now hovering around $275.  I had a bottle of the Glendronach Parliament (21 yr.) when it was much cheaper.  I can't justify it now.  As to the six regions, Lowlands (Auchentochan), and Campbelltown (Springbank and Glen Scotia) are usually much more reasonable than Speyside and the Islands but in my view, well worth it.  If I had to choose what to take with me to the proverbial island of the lost, I would take a Talisker 18, a Highland Park 18, and a Dalmore 18. 

• Mondo_Limbo Member Joined: 19.08.2021Posts: 5Ratings: 0
    Options

@rnclapp I'm very much an Islay guy, with a few exceptions, and want to make a suggestion or two.  You don't have Laphroaig on your list.  They are one of the true classics, their 10 and Quarter Cask are excellent.  And for something truly spectacular (in my opinion but I've only had 20 Islay and 7 other peated "expressions"), try either Laphroaig Lore or Ardbeg Corryvrekkan.  A little pricier but absolutely must trys.  The Lore has been recently discontinued but there are still some out there, Corryrvekkan is widely available.