Oban Little Bay Obsession and help?

• RoriRants
    Topic creator

Hello!!  This is my first post here--hiya folks!

I'm an "intermediate" whisky (and whiskey) drinker, but new to this site. I recently picked up Oban Little Bay, and have developed a stupendous obsession with it. I would like to be able to--but cannot--explain this properly. Little Bay tastes like ozone, salt, petrichor, and nostalgia to me. Something about it just feels comfortable and familiar. Like a rainy day at the seaside cottage you've lived in for 40 years. I realize how intangible that description is, and I've never felt like this about a whisk(e)y.

I want to keep exploring single malt (bc I've been bitten HARD by the bug), but I cant seem to find something similar to Little Bay. The local stores near to me are not well versed in single malts (?!!) and can't provide info. Can y'all recommend something else that tastes similar?  (I did recently get Bunnahabhain 12, and that was a huge hit for me, but not in the same way as Little Bay)

Thanks muches!!

Cheers!

• TheGreatMothra Member TheGreatMothra Joined: 30.03.2016Posts: 27CollectionRatings: 160
    Options

@RoriRants It depends where you are in the world really. If you can't find much variety in your local stores it might be worth checking out online vendors in your country. I do most of my whisky shopping online these days as the variety is just so much better.

• RoriRants
    Topic creator
    Options

@TheGreatMothra No, I definitely have to shop online. I'm about 80 miles away from the nearest real liquor store :smile:

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

@RoriRants 

Ever tried one of the Scapa or Old Pulteney bottlings that are on ther market right now? Obviously, they might not fit your taste, as your description is pretty personal, but you might want to give them a try anyway.

Best of luck!

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • RoriRants
    Topic creator
    Options

@SanctTom 

Late back to the party, but thank you!

• Mondo_Limbo Member Joined: 19.08.2021Posts: 5Ratings: 0
    Options

@RoriRants Try out Glenfiddich 14 yr Bourbon Barrel.  Similar to the Little Bay, but I like it more.

• cogboy Member Joined: 27.02.2021Posts: 5Ratings: 0
    Options

@RoriRants  Try the Oban 14 ,it is similar to the Little bay

• MacGregor333 Member Joined: 19.09.2021Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

Check out Highland Park, Springbank was mentioned, it is produced just south of Oban in the town of Campbeltown,....