Bad Batch?

• fortyfourcaliber
    Topic creator

One of my first bottles was The Balvenie 12. I loved how sweet and elegant it tasted, lots of honey and hint of sherry. Several bottles later, I found Balvenie again on sale. After taking a sip, I did not like it. It tasted very tart, not like how I remember it at all. I was wondering if this could possibly be a bad batch? Or did my taste just grow and now I have a different opinion about it? How likely is it that there's something wrong with this particular bottle?

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@fortyfourcaliber 

There is several reasons that you didn't like it.

You taste may have changed.

The batch was a bit bad.

Maybe the bottle needs some time to open up. Taste in two months again.

Maybe you had eaten something before that affected your taste buds when you drank it the last time.

So go to a pub and order it. To see if there is a difference between the one you have at home and the one at the pub.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@bedlamborn Can't explain the situation better than you did.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Luis_Flavio Member Luis_Flavio Joined: 25.05.2018Posts: 4Ratings: 0
    Options

@fortyfourcaliber 

Oh my God!!! The same with me!!!! I´m from Brasil and I bought 2 Balvenie Doublewood 40 abv bottles of 700 ml. They both were amazing! Now, months after I`m drinking a Balvenie 43 abv 1 litre bottle and the taste is horrible.  
    Tasting like a sulfuric acid. I had the same problem with 1 litre bottle of Glenmorangie Lasanta 46 abv. They`ve got the same bad taste like sulfuric acid and bitter. Maybe the single malts are losing quality since they`re opening the market for South America and others new parts of the world.

I´m on my third dose and the taste keeps the same. I had put on the trash my Glenmorangie bottle cause I couldn`t drink anymore. Here this kind of drink is really expensive. Waste of time and money.

Options

@fortyfourcaliber 

I´ll let my bottle opened for some days and I´ll drink again. But I haven`t hope to find anything better in taste. :evil:

Options

I haven`t sense any smell like I did on my previous Balvenie bottles. Here in Brasil I paid 350 reais on each bottle. I have another bottle closed.:cry:

Options

@fortyfourcaliber 

I let my Balvenie 12 bottle opened for all night long. So I had a dose now and kept the same bad metallic smelling, the taste wasn`t so bitter and acid like before but was metallic, the same off flavours and a little bit sweet, that´s it. Disappointing, nothing compared to the previous Doublewood 12 I had. I´ll never buy single malts again. R$350 that time, today is almost R$500 on the brazilian market. Shame.

• hcrobertsonjr Member Joined: 28.04.2021Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@fortyfourcaliber 

Unfortunately, you may have come across a bad batch. I recently purchased two bottles of the Balvenie 12 Double Wood and had a terrible taste. They were both from the same lot. I contacted Balvenie and tried to send them what was left from a bottle for them to test, but FedEx wouldn't ship the package even though it was a FedEx package and labels saying it was alcohol, so I gave up. Balvenie has been my favorite for several years, but it's hard for me to buy another bottle risking another bad bottle. I'm 62 and have drunk my fair share of scotch and have never had a bad bottle before. I've gone back to my Johnny Black.