Whisky in a flask - right or wrong?

• A-Walker
    Topic creator
    Member A-Walker

Hello everyone,

Wanted to get some opinions on the matter - is it OK to carry whisky in a flask? Does it affect the taste? Is there a time limit to how long can it hold in a flask? 

I like flasks, and I enjoy carrying one around, just for the fun of it. I tried to read a bit how the material - the one I have is made of stainless steel, the most common type of flask - impacts the flavor but couldn't find anythign substantial. 

Any words of wisdom?

• A-Walker
    Topic creator
    Member A-Walker
    , edited September 25 2017 at 3:39AM
    Options

Really? No one? Disappointing... 

The reason I'm asking is because I'm deal with hip flasks and I get questioned a lot about different types of alcohol, whether they can be carried in a flask. I've tried myself to carry whisky in a pewter flask - kept it for 24 hours in a cool environment - and it tasted fine to me. 

I'm thinking about expanding my experiment to all the different type of hip flasks for men (listed here http://www.flaskaholic.com/best-flasks-for-men) so I'll be able to provide more informed answers when being asked. 

So one more time - anyone has some words of wisdom for me about carrying whisky around in a cool hip flask?

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@A-Walker It is difficult to carry whisky in those flasks for more than a day. They acquire some taste over the hours. There is also the problem to have suitable glasses with you. Just drinking out of the flask wastes 90% of the taste of the whisky. Using small metal cups aren't a lot better.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    amorris66 liked that
  • A-Walker
    Topic creator
    Member A-Walker
    Options

@horst_s Thanks for the input. Point taken. 

• brendanclark Member Joined: 03.12.2018Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

Its a good to carry a whisky flask I because its great and cool i think. recently I buy one and its one top the best flasks for men 2018

• amorris66 Member Joined: 24.09.2020Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@A-Walker There are some great new Glass/Leather wrapped flasks out on the market.  Might want to take a look.  I have stopped carrying whiskey in metal flasks as it totally alters the nose and mouth.  Noticably!

https://ragproper.com/collections/leather-flasks