New to Whiskey and struggling to get past the alcohol burn

• Ethan_Jones
    Topic creator
    Member Ethan_Jones

Hi guys,

I bought my first whiskey about 8 weeks ago, Glenfiddich 15.

Since then I have bought a bottle of Proper 12, and a bottle of Highland Park 12. I'm 22 years old and have never drank spirits before this.

I am starting to smell a nutty aroma in the Glenfiddich, vanilla in the proper 12 and Dark fruitiness in the highland park, but the majority of what I smell and taste is still just the burn of the alcohol.

Is there some sort of acclimatisation period I should expect before I can really taste more and smell more notes?

• thepeanut Member Joined: 17.08.2015Posts: 37CollectionThePeanuts CollectionRatings: 8
    Options

@Ethan_Jones 

Welcome to the whisky world. My advice is just to keep drinking and smelling :biggrin: You will get used to it soon enough!

Whisky Lover, Experiencing new Flavors~
  • Izzy Member Joined: 07.04.2020Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

@Ethan_Jones Hi Ethan,

I worked in Glenkinchie Visitor Centre for 20 years.  Please don't think i am biased but Glenkinchie is an ideal malt to begin with.  Either that or a Dalwhinnie 15 year old.  These are very light malts.  What i used to do with visitors having their first tasting was to add a spot of water into the whisky and that would take the burn out of it.  Another way is to pour the glass and let it sit at room temperature or warm it in both hands.  You will find that the burn disappears and is very pleasant.

WhiskySipper1328 liked that
  • thomascatherine660 Member Joined: 15.04.2020Posts: 4Ratings: 0
  • Str8ladboxers Member Joined: 13.08.2020Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

I agree I’d start with Dalwhinnie that’s what I used to get used to it. And adding a tiny splash of water too helps. 

• kate991 Member kate991 Joined: 26.08.2020Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@Ethan_Jones 

I just bought a 12 bottle for my dad, he liked it very much, but unfortunately the first time he was too drunk I had to put it away.

rate my company 

• Havel_2 Member Havel_2 Joined: 06.07.2021Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    , edited July 8 2021 at 5:02PM
    Options

Oh man, I got so many flashback from my youth while reading the original post. I still remember how I was thinking that there is nothing else than just that alcohol "burn" effect in whiskey. As someone said above, just keep on drinking it and smelling it, and you will get used to it. That is exactly what I have done back in the day :biggrin:. However, I have got another advice, do not drink too much! Trust me, you do not want to become an alcoholic! I have had this terrible situation, and my friends were interested in me getting help for alcoholism uk, as I was in a really bad state! Due to them, I got back to a normal life!

• rogerlee Member Joined: 14.03.2022Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    , edited March 16 2022 at 10:16PM
    Options

Being a true connoisseur of high-quality alcoholic beverages is a very cool activity. But you should be careful with this so as not to slip into dependence. If you already feel this, then immediately start treating. Treatment of alcoholism is a medical process that is carried out in a special institution or at home. Dependence on alcohol negatively affects the body, physical and mental health. Therefore, the fight against alcoholism is carried out comprehensively, and psychological assistance to alcoholics is an important part of treatment. I advise you to seek help from https://www.theluckiestclub.com/join-community.