Is bourbon boring? Or am I wrong?

13»
  • Jeremy_Brizzi Member Jeremy_Brizzi Joined: 08.06.2020Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage couldn’t agree more.  I have tried dozens upon dozens of bourbon and it seems to me that it’s all varying degrees of the same thing....it’s a scale of good to bad but based on working to achieve the exact same flavor profile.  Is bourbon itself boring?  No.  Is the bourbon experience as a whiskey lover boring.  IMO, absolutely.  I can only sum it up this way.  I took a bourbon buddy out one night to open his eyes up to what’s possible in whisky.  We tried a good 12 different whiskeys all night.  About half way through the flight he says to me, if you get this, I’ll get the Pappy.  So, he dropped $100 on an ounce of Pappy between three of us, we each  dropped about the same on the dozen we tried.  He was like - get ready, this going to be amazing.  We all tried it and his face just went flat with disappointment.  All the waiting to try the most renown name in Bourbon only to have it, in his words.”tastes like Bourbon”.  I said, “yes, of course, but it’s very good and perfectly balanced.”  But, you could see the light...bourbon is one color in a spectrum that has mildly varying shades of the same color, where whiskey, as a whole, is a rainbow.  The rules being what they are, Bourbon will always have a place, but it will always, just be, Bourbon!  

• Miahechtman Member Miahechtman Joined: 02.03.2021Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

From my personal knowledge, i feel like getting the right bourbon matters alot. Maybe you haven't had a good experience with GOOD bourbon thats why you feel the way you do?  :question:

I personally ensure that i dont drink inexpensive ones because their taste can differ by alot than the expensive good ones. Think of it like an investment on yourself and your 'me' time. Make sure that you just get the smoothest bourbon whiskey and you should be good to go!

Best of luck 
    :smile:  :biggrin:
    John72 liked that
  • evelone Member evelone Joined: 11.03.2021Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

Well, following your terms it is boring but I don't think that it is a bad thing. I mean, it's way easier to find the taste you really enjoy and for me, bourbon is a go-to drink for that reason. How many times you've bought a fancy bottle of scotch and ended up being disappointed? Happened a lot of times to me. And with bourbon, you won't ever experiment that much and even if you do, it is pretty easy to figure out how a certain bourbon will taste. There are some surprises once in a while, for example lately I was positively impressed by Cumberland Falls even though straight bourbon is not my cup of tea. But I got it as a gift and turned out that this one is pretty good. But in most cases, you can be sure if you will enjoy the bottle or not.

• tree_lemon Member tree_lemon Joined: 12.06.2023Posts: 3Ratings: 0
    Options

I love bourbon. I just love the taste.

i_you liked that