Looking for recommendations on non-peated whiskeys

• Pedro_Martins_Figueiredo
    Topic creator

Hey everyone,

I've been enjoying very much the occasional peated single malts for some years now including a large variety of Laphroaigs, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Caol Ila, GlenDronach peated, Octomore, among various others, and I honestly bet that without tasting anything else... this is my favorite type whisky. It brings nostalgia, memories, and makes me think of a proud fireplace warming a cosy wooden shed by the cliffs of a stormy sea...

Anyway, I would still like to slowly explore other things. I've tried a few occasional whiskeys of other sorts but this was before I knew how to take the time to enjoy exploring it (I didn't do shots... but if I was drinking, then it was more just sipping while busy doing something else like playing cards and not really thinking of what I was tasting).

However... I would like to occasionally dare try and explore something new and/or have something to offer guests who frown to the peated varieties as I give them a cork for them to get an idea :razz:

So I know this is highly subjective... but if you would recommend 5 very distinct wallet friendly (under $50) whiskeys from anywhere in the world that would well represent their category and bring something different/distinct (the same way that for example Lagavulin 16 could well represent Islay peats), what would those be (without giving it much thought)?

Cheers!

morunas

• thomascatherine660 Member Joined: 15.04.2020Posts: 4Ratings: 0
  • thepeanut Member Joined: 17.08.2015Posts: 37CollectionThePeanuts CollectionRatings: 8
    Options

@thomascatherine660 

Great suggestion however, these are way over the budget he stated haha..

Whisky Lover, Experiencing new Flavors~
  • thepeanut Member Joined: 17.08.2015Posts: 37CollectionThePeanuts CollectionRatings: 8
    Options

@Pedro_Martins_Figueiredo Hi!

$50 is slightly too low in my opinion to represent any distillery or category. Maybe below $100? For a $100 and below just off my head i'll recommend Macallan Double cask 12 year old, The Chita (by Suntory) , Auchentoshan 12 Years Old, Dalmore 12 Years Old and Kavalan Single Malt.

Cheers!

Whisky Lover, Experiencing new Flavors~