Edradour 10s. 2017 and 2019!

• dennislhopkins
    Topic creator
    Joined: 13.12.2018Posts: 47Collectiondennislhopkinss CollectionRatings: 20

When I visited the Edradour Distillery in May 2017, I brought home a 70cl bottle of 40ABV. I was loathe to open it, because I couldn't find any Edradour distributors in the USA to replace it. And then, because of various law changes, I couldn't get any shipments from the UK. So, it stayed unopened. In February 2020 I found a USA distributor who stocked the Edradour 10. Great! Let's get another bottle! Well, the "new" bottle was 43ABV, so son-in-law decided to have a comparison tasting.  When I took the new 2019 bottle out of it's container, I was SHOCKED! Take a look at the attached photo. Instead of a light amber of the 2017, the 2019 was a dark....something!  Took comparison tastes. The difference was not to be believed. The 2017 was almost bland in comparison. Yes, it had some hints of sherry, light fruits (peach/apricot) and some distillery characteristic, but it was rather imageunremarkable. Not what I remembered from 2017. The 2019 just about blew us away from the table!! On the nose it was rich, heavily scented of sherry/dark fruits, heavy toffee/caramel, sweet, spicy. It was just phenomenal!! The taste was even more unbelievable!  Mouth coating, luscious, sweet, figs, dates, toffee, sherry! After taste was long, warming, hints of chocolate, more sherry, and buttery toffee. What a huge difference. I sent a note to the distillery and they responded that beginning 2009 they put much more emphasis on the sherry casks used for maturation. Whatever was done is a hit! I can now get the Edradour 10 in the USA for about $55USD for a 750ml bottle at 43ABV. A bargain to me!

• dennislhopkins
    Topic creator
    Joined: 13.12.2018Posts: 47Collectiondennislhopkinss CollectionRatings: 20
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@dennislhopkins 

If you likethe standard ten year old, you need to keep your eyes open for the 10 yr Signatory Vintage...it will knock your socks off!

You can find it in a few places in the states, depending on where you live.  When I was in the Washington DC area, it wasn't too hard to locate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ESZc_PK1w