Visiting Islay during Feis Ile?

• Comradegeneral
    Topic creator

Hi,

I am planning my (first) visit to Scotland next year around May, the time, when the Feis Ile is happening.
    Dilemma: Should I plan my visit to Islay to conincide with Feis Ile festival or to avoid festival times (before & after)?

From what I could gather so far online (could be wrong tho):
    Pros:
    Probably better atmoshpere, music
    Opportunity to pick up collectible bottlings

Cons:
    TONS of people, crowded, long queues at the distilleries
    Difficult and overpriced accomodation/transport

Any opinions/experiences are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

If you are able to find a place to stay and love crowds, then you should definitely go for the festival. Distilleries try to present themselves in the best way.

I fo myself avoid any crowds. More than one or wo dozen people on a single spot is my limit. And - if you are alone - you will find a friendly guy from time to time - who will show you around in a very private tour.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Knvb Member Joined: 13.09.2016Posts: 1CollectionCollectionRatings: 0
    Options

I'm wondering the same. Are the crazy lineups for everything worth it or perhaps going the week before or after a better option? Have you heard fr other peeps who have been?

Cheers

• Suzanne1967 Guest, Member Suzanne1967 Joined: 09.05.2015Posts: 68CollectionSuzanne and Lee's drinking CollectionRatings: 164
    Options

We visited a few weeks after the Feis, there was still plenty of Feis bottlings available, but no huge queues, which worked for us... yes we missed out on the atmosphere, but it was the Whisky we were there for, and to experience the distilleries, not for the Festival.

Ultimately only you can decide, but I am with Horst, quieter is better :smile:

• txbarrels91 Member Joined: 22.10.2019Posts: 3Ratings: 0
    Options

@Comradegeneral 

https://marketscale.com/industries/food-and-beverage/made-in-america-kentucky-bourbon-trail/

Buffalo Trace

The Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, Kentucky holds the Guinness world record for the oldest continuously-operated distillery in the United States, and its roots date back to the formative years of the United States.

The country’s first significant bourbon boom immediately followed the Civil War in the late 1860s and ’70s. The distillery was led by EH Taylor Jr., who took over the reins in 1869 and built three distilleries in succession.

The first two distilleries were believed to have been lost to time, but during routine renovation work in the 2010s, one was uncovered.

In recent years Buffalo Trace planned to renovate the Old Fire Copper Distillery, which had been abandoned, by lowering a floor to create more event space. However, during construction, the crew ran into brick. Not loose brick, but mortared walls. At first bewildered, they carefully continued and found stone walls. The team stopped the demolition and called in Kentucky archaeologist and distillery researcher, Nick Laracuente.

Laracuente oversaw the excavation on the project they now call Bourbon Pompeii.