Latest batch of Laphroaig "Select"

• James_Jackson
    Topic creator
    Member James_Jackson
    Joined: 10.11.2018Posts: 14CollectionJames' CollectionRatings: 5
    , edited July 1 2019 at 3:15PM

I just had a bottle of Laphroaig "Select" delivered and not only was it the same colour as the 10 year old (Normally "Select" is a pale straw colour, due to no caramel), but the nose, the taste, I'd swear it's a mislabeled bottle of 10 yr old.

I've been drinking the 10 year old for over 15 years, it's not like I don't know what it tastes like! :smile:

But my question is this: What do you think is more likely A: A mislabeled bottle of 10 year old or B: They've run low on stock for the latest batch of "Select" and put a ton more of the 10 yr into the mix.

Not complaining, as I acutally prefer the 10 yr old. :lol:

• James_Jackson
    Topic creator
    Member James_Jackson
    Joined: 10.11.2018Posts: 14CollectionJames' CollectionRatings: 5
    Options

Okay, forget that....

I got a bottle of 10 yr old for comparison and it seems it was just a unusally pungent batch of select.

I feel a bit silly now.

• TheGreatMothra Member TheGreatMothra Joined: 30.03.2016Posts: 27CollectionRatings: 160
    Options

@James_Jackson I've always found with Laphroaig that the differences in the releases become a lot more apparent once the bottle has been open for a couple of weeks (same applies to a lot of peat heavy whiskies). A bit of oxidation will probably change it enough that you'll see even more difference between them.