What Is Your Experience with Alexander Murray Products?

• dennislhopkins
    Topic creator
    Joined: 13.12.2018Posts: 47Collectiondennislhopkinss CollectionRatings: 20

I know Alexander Murray is an independent bottler with purchases from various distilleries, including many well known Speysides. Whether those purchases from those distilleries are top drawer is another topic for debate. However, I recently obtained a 41 y/o Speyside (distilled 1972) bottled by Murray. Haven't  opened yet.  Just curious what forum members experiences are with Murray products, in general of course. Thank you in advance.

• dennislhopkins
    Topic creator
    Joined: 13.12.2018Posts: 47Collectiondennislhopkinss CollectionRatings: 20
    Options

@dennislhopkins Well, I decided to make my own comparison between my open bottle of Glenfarclas 40 (43 ABV) distilled 1978, and my recently acquired Alexander Murray (Speyside) 41 (40 ABV) distilled 1972. While the A.M. is marketed as "from a Speyside distillery" at the end of this post I'll tell you what I think where it originated. 

Alexander Murray 41

Color - Dark amber.  Glass swirl was light, somewhat fast legs.

Nose -  Strong floral!  A distinctive but subtle smell of a rose-scented candle! Fruity, red apples. Sweet, very soft on the nose, sherry notes. That rose scent was something I've never smelled before.

Taste - Smooth! Floral. That rose-scented candle aroma/taste was distinctive up front. Oakey, spicy, but sweet.  Great mouth feel.

After Taste - Long after taste. Notes of toffey. Oakey but not bitter. Spicy, sweet.

Glenfarclas 40:

Color - dark amber, but just a wee shade lighter than the A.M.  Glass swirl on the lighter side/also somewhat fast legs, like the A.M. 

Nose - Floral. Slightly stronger alcohol smell than A.M. Lightly fruity (apples?). Definite sherry, toffee, sweet, buttery. Slightly oakey. 

Taste - Same soft rose-scented candle notes as with the A.M. but not as intense.  This similarity really surprised me.  I was several minutes between tasting these two. Intense, oakey, spicy, sweet, great mouth feel. Mouth watering!

After Taste - REALLY LONG finish! Crisp. Spicy, oakey. Somewhat "drier" than A.M. Hints of chocolate at the end.  Spicy, oakey, sweet after taste really hangs in there. Quite long as compared to A.M. 

Since I've seen no other reviews of Alexander Murray Speyside 41 (1972) I must admit that I really enjoy it.  I paid $600USD for it (750ml); $800USD for Glenfarclas 40 (750ml).  Both bargains for "old" Speysides I think. I am certainly NO expert, but my nose and tongue tell me that these two 40-something y/o bottles are either BOTH Glenfarclas, or the Alexander Murray is somewhere very nearby. They both have so much in common on the nose and taste-wise to me, such that I believe the Alexander Murray Speyside to be a Glenfarclas-distilled product. The A.M. is an exquisite bottle, as is the Glenfarclas. I just ordered another A.M. for my collecttion; I have to wait for another Glenfarclas until it's back in stock!  I rate both as a definite "buy" for any collection!