Laphroaig Quarter Cask

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie

I have purchased this before,and as it is only £28 on Amazon at the moment,couldn't really resist.A full 48% abv and non chill filtered.Despite its strong flavours,there is a certain seeetness to it as well,which is very good.I'd highly recommend this,and for its islay style,it's a great example.Hard to beat for quality/price ratio.If you do buy it,I think you will really enjoy all its flavours.I'm not really a peat maniac,but this is good stuff!

• Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Ian_Crombie 

Not my favourite Laphroaig, but very interesting how did they manage nice aging without not so many years - a NAS with malt been in smaller casks, so the ratio volume/area is higher.

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie
    Options

@Vasco I know!Laphroaig Lore is very good they say.May get it for my birthday tomorrow!

Vasco liked that
  • Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Ian_Crombie 

I know I'm late, but…

Happy birthday!

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie
    Options

@Vasco Yes..the smaller casks can turn an 8yr old into a 12 year old.A nice sweet,peaty one,and only £28 at times off Amazon,so a very good buy!

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie
    Options

@Vasco Thanks!!Got a Springbank 15 too,with birthday voucher and its rather good!Slightly peaty,but with sherry influence and maybe some ginger.Complex and interesting!So many possible whiskies to try on this single malt journey.Its all fun,and that is what matters!

• OdysseusUnbound Member OdysseusUnbound Joined: 05.06.2019Posts: 14Ratings: 0
    Options

@Ian_Crombie "A smaller cask can turn an 8 year old into a 12 year old"....

That's not quite how it works. You get more wood exposure with smaller casks, but right now it is impossible to "speed" the aging process. There's evaporation, esterification, and other factors that come into play. You can't rush them. That's not a knock against Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I really like that malt, but it's not "speed aged" by the smaller casks. Cheers.

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie
    Options

@OdysseusUnbound Well whatever the process is as described by Ralfy or Horst,it works well and the Q.Cask is very good.Can be as cheap as £28 here in UK,but does tend to go up in price quite often.Thek Lore is more sherried and creamier,but both really good in my opinion!

• OdysseusUnbound Member OdysseusUnbound Joined: 05.06.2019Posts: 14Ratings: 0
    Options

@Ian_Crombie QC is quite good. No argument there. It's pricy here in Ontario, though. $90 right now.

• iRadiate Member Joined: 05.07.2021Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@Ian_Crombie 

I just had my first taste of QC this evening and wow!

To be honest, I am very much a newbie when it comes to Scotch single malt whisky. I have been dabbling with the usual entry level recommendations such as Glemorangie Original, Macallan 12, Glenlivet 12, etc.

I had the Laphroaig 10 yr some years ago at a restaurant and it was too much for me back then, especially for my first Scotch single malt. Too intensely smokey, peaty and medicinal.

However, this Laphroaig is incredible, smokey but not the intensity of the 10 year as I remember it, peaty, sweetness, and definitely the longest finish I've ever had with a whisky .. the finish goes on forever. Delicious. Big fan here.