Newbie looking for peaty scotch suggestions

• WhiskeyGimp
    Topic creator
    Joined: 10.03.2019Posts: 3CollectionWhiskeyGimps CollectionRatings: 1

I'm very new to scotch whisky. So far I have only tried johnnie walker black. I really enjoyed the smoky flavor of the whisky. I know that it is a blended whisky but wasn't sure where to post. Now I'm looking to try some other peaty scotch whisky but am unsure what to do get. My budget is around $50.00. After some Internet searches and watching reviews on the site bowmore 12 year looks to be a nice choice. What are some other good choices for somebody new to peaty scotch.

Andy

• dennislhopkins Member Joined: 13.12.2018Posts: 47Collectiondennislhopkinss CollectionRatings: 20
    Options

@WhiskeyGimp - Try a Laphroaig Double Cask. I just did a tasting with my son-in-law yesterday. He's a real "peat" enthusiast. Me not so much. However, the four peats we tasted, the Laphroaig, a Lagavulan, and and two Ardbergs, the Laphroaig was quite exquisite for the price. I paid about $55USD for 750ml. Dark amber color. Softly peated and sweet on the nose. Sweet, spicy, lightly peaty on the palette. Long, lingering finish with notes of light smoke, oak, honey. Quite nice, definitely not overpowering with smoke like some (Taliskers) can be. Just my $0.02 worth. I personally am a Speyside/Highland Sherry Bomb kind of guy, but for a "peaty" this one was good to me!

• WhiskeyGimp
    Topic creator
    Options

@dennislhopkins can you do me a favor and post a link for that Laphroaig. I can't pinpoint that double cask in a internet search

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    , edited March 12 2019 at 5:54AM
    Options

@WhiskeyGimp @dennislhopkins 

Sounds more like the Laphroaig Quarter Cask to me...

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • dennislhopkins Member Joined: 13.12.2018Posts: 47Collectiondennislhopkinss CollectionRatings: 20
    Options

@SanctTom yes. Quarter Cask! My mistake!!

• TheGreatMothra Member TheGreatMothra Joined: 30.03.2016Posts: 27CollectionRatings: 160
    Options

I agree, i'd definitely say to go with Laphroaig Quarter cask over Bowmore (never really found it terribly good tbh). Be aware, that it packs quite a punch though. If you've only been exposed to JW so far, the strength of the peat might come as somewhat of a shock.

If you want something more moderate I'd try to find a bottle of Kilkerran 12 if its available in your area. It has the peat, but doesn't go over the top with it like some Islay releases.

• Ian_Crombie Member Ian_Crombie Joined: 11.06.2018Posts: 126Ratings: 0
    Options

@TheGreatMothra Laphroaig Quarter Cask is very good,with  sweet peatyness and nice flavours at a full 48%.Talisker 10,or any Talisker is worth trying..18 yr old is excellent!!!More subtle smoke/peat whiskies worth a try are Highland Park and Bunnahabhain 12,the latter is really good,only £30 off Amazon at the moment,a total bargain.Have tried Ardbeg and Lagavulin,but they are quite strong in peat.Have fun finding the ones you like!!

Snelius liked that
  • Snelius Member Joined: 25.01.2019Posts: 15CollectionSnelius CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

I think Highland Park 12yo it's a good idea in a path to peat step by step.

• Whiskygalore Member Whiskygalore Joined: 20.03.2019Posts: 11CollectionSample room reserveRatings: 0
    Options

@WhiskeyGimp To sample a nice slightly Peaty whisky you should try Highland park 12 year old. 

• WhiskeyGimp
    Topic creator
    Options

@Snelius @Whiskygalore I ended up going with the highland park 12. Only had a finger of it so far but I really like the taste. A nice step up from the JW. I like the increase in peat. Seems like a good choice in the progression to more peat. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@WhiskeyGimp 

When you get an increase in the budget of your next bottle, and if you like some sweetness on your peat, I'd suggest two Laphroaigs: PX Cask (Pedro Ximenez) and Brodir (Port).

Regards,

Vasco