Hosting a Scotch Tasting - Son's Wedding - Comments Please

• gmacaluso
    Topic creator
    , edited March 12 2019 at 2:15PM

Ladies, Gentlemen,

I'm hosting a scotch tasting on the occasion of my Son's Wedding for 15-20 of my closest friends this summer.    Thinking six bottles perhaps from all regions served with prime rib sliders, fresh summer fruit, assorted cheeses, cigars, et al.

I've taken a first swing at some of my favorites and those recommended to me but would welcome opinions.   Going for 

1) nothing pretentious ... fun

2) great diversity ... something to encourage the novice and something to dazzle the experienced

3) personally not peat-oriented but if you were going to wow them with a bottle what would you pick with other bottles     having shades from no peat to very light.

4) your thoughts on first selections:

·       Macallan 18  Speyside

·       Glenlevet 18  Speyside

·       Springback 15 Campbeltown

·       Highland Park 18 (corrected) Island

·       Ardbeg Corryvreckan  Islay

·       Jura Origin10, or Scapa  Island.

The Glenlevet 18 was given recently as a gift so I added it to the list but if I were to have a second from Speyside ... I'd pick a Balvenie.

Thanks for your thoughts.

gmac

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@gmacaluso 

For Island I would go with Arran 10 for example, as I find Jura to be lacking.

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    , edited March 7 2019 at 4:06PM
    Options

@gmacaluso 

As there are both the Lowlands and the Highlands missing just yet and almost all of your picks are sherry cask matured, why not add a bourbon cask Highland Malt (e.g. from Balblair, Clynelish or Old Pulteney) and some nice crispy lowlander like Auchentoshan Three Wood - works especially well in the summer months from frosted glasses... :wink: 

By the way - Highland Park is from the Islands, not Islay - so you've got both Islands and Speyside doubly covered. I'd go for HP and Glenlivet - Jura is imho just a tad too indistinct and Macallan 18 is a great whisky for sure - but might eclipse the others too far... but go for it if you like!

Have fun!

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • gmacaluso
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn 

Bedlam (OU/OSU?, I'm a Husker ... miss our battles ... miss us being relevant):

Thanks for the thoughts on an alternative for Jura.   Received two comments that it lacks ...

Any thoughts on the others?

Regards,

gmac

• gmacaluso
    Topic creator
    Options

@SanctTom 

Sanct,

Sage thoughts.   Thanks very much.  Tasting notes on the Highland you recommend?

Best,

gmac

, edited March 12 2019 at 5:49PM
    Options

@gmacaluso 

Unfortunately I can't give you tasting notes for any recent Balblair - what I seem to remember most are notes of green pears, apple mint and an overall freshness.
    For Clynelish, you might try either the regular 14 y.o. (or better yet the Flora & Fauna edition, if you can get it): Notes of wild honey,cloves,beeswax candlesticks with a decent amount of oak and herbs. There are also some really good independents out there, "The Maltman" from Meadowside Blending for example.

(Old) Pulteney ist rather maritime, with salt,vanilla and occasionally a hint of smoke - here the Flotilla series (especially the Spectrum WK217) might work best - but the following series (Lighthouses, I think) shouldn't be too different. If possible, you might want to try an Ex-Bourbon single cask - these tend to be very good, even if quite steep in price.

Hope this helps - have fun trying some of this stuff out!

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • gmacaluso
    Topic creator
    Options

@SanctTom 

Many thanks ... sounds like you've toured extensively (physically or virtually) ... how did you come to being so well-versed?

gmac

Options

@gmacaluso 

Thanks - you're making me blush...:wink:

It's just extensive interest - and having tried lots of different whiskys in the last decade.

• MHyldgaard Member Joined: 28.05.2019Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@gmacaluso 

Would think about the order of the whiskies, and limit the number of smokey/peaty whiskies to one. To try something different styles of whisky for newcommers I suggest to follow an order that goes:

- Rye whisky (e.g. Crown Royal Northern Rye)

- a regular single malt whisky (e.g Glen Grant 10)

- a whisky from outside Scotland (e.g Omar bourbon cask)

- A great single malt or one with sherry finish

- Cask strenght and/or single Cask

- Peaty/smokey whisky

Hope you get a great tasting

• gmacaluso
    Topic creator
    Options

@MHyldgaard 

Many thanks … hadn't thought of the cask strength or bourbons as a change of pace.

Regards,

Gmac

• Handshears Member Handshears Joined: 22.03.2022Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    , edited March 24 2022 at 6:25PM
    Options

Wow, what a great idea! I think this could be a very fun party and your guests will appreciate the intention with the different drink bottles. I suggest you choose a variety of drinks that will please as many people as possible. I'm sure my husband would have liked to have attended such an elegant party or even organized one in his honour. He loves events where people come dressed nicely like the gentleman's guru brand, who serve whiskey and drink champagne and discuss topics in various fields.
    Wow, what a great idea! I think this could be a very fun party and your guests will appreciate the intention with the different drink bottles.