Should I Buy????? Glenfarclas 40 750ml $800USD!

• dennislhopkins
    Topic creator
    Joined: 13.12.2018Posts: 47Collectiondennislhopkinss CollectionRatings: 20

I am a real Glenfarclas fan! Even have a distillery tour set up for Oct 2019 when wife and I next visit Scotland!  Distributor I use for getting my Glenfarclas fix FINALLY has Glenfarclas 40 y/o available for $800 USD for 750ml bottle.  I absolutely love the 25, as well as 17.  Have a 21 that I've not tried yet.  What says the Forum?  Do you think it's worth the price for the 40 y/o, maybe to have on hand for my celebration party when I start circling the drain sometime in the future? I'm 63 now!  Ha, ha!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@dennislhopkins Thta is very expensive. But if you love the distillery it could be worth it. However, I fer that the 40 year old can be a bit bitter so it depends on you like flavours like that.

• dennislhopkins
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn Thank you for your response. Will be doing a tasting with my son-in-law and also a local brew pub owner next weekend (7 March). Will report on how it is!!

• Ian_Crombie Member Ian_Crombie Joined: 11.06.2018Posts: 126Ratings: 0
    Options

@dennislhopkins Glenfarclas 40 is £750 in UK,so $800 sounds a bargain!

• dennislhopkins
    Topic creator
    Options

@Ian_Crombie Yes. I have my bottle in hand. Am going to open on March 8, 2019, to salute the death of a young sailor who worked for me in U.S. Navy in 1978, the month my bottle was distilled and put to sleep. That young lad committed suicide onboard our ship that day, so I want to acknowledge his death with my son-in-law and brewmaster of local pub, who both are very whisky savvy. Will report on how it tastes. Epic, I am thinking!!

Options

@dennislhopkins Well the 21 and 25 are very good,so I imagine the 40yr old will be something very special.ENJOY!

• Snelius Member Joined: 25.01.2019Posts: 15CollectionSnelius CollectionRatings: 0
  • dennislhopkins
    Topic creator
    Options

@Snelius 

Nosing: :fruit: :plum: :sherry: :driedfruit: :sweetness: :citrus:
    Taste: :sherry: :fig: :spices: :sweetness: :honey:
    Finish: :sherry: :driedfruit: :darkchocolate: :oil::chocolate: :caramel:
    Comment: I opened this exquisite bottle March 8 with my son-in-law and brewmaster of local brew put, who both have well refined noses and tasters! I was 22 y/o in 1978 when this nectar was distilled in March 1978 and bottled in March 2018. Pretty much my entire adult life of any substance was contained therein. We sampled Glenfarclas 17 and 21 at the same time, working our way up to the 40, assessing the distillery character. The 40, to put it mildly, was unbelievable! Definitely complex on the nose. The first thing that hit me was the smell of walking into an elegant antique shop. Not musty and nasty, but a combination of all the wonderful old smells of books, tapestries, wood furniture, you name it. Refined. Elegant. The next thing to me on the nose was the sweet and heady smell of maple/toffee candy. Dark fruits of some kind - figs, prunes, dates, something. Soft on the nose, smooth. And of course, sherry! The first sip was like something I've never tasted before. Sherry bomb but smooth, soft, luscious. Definitely the tastes of spice and dried fruits, some honey tones in the background. Beautiful and long finish. Succulent and oily covering and lighting up my entire mouth. More sherry. Sweetness like chocolate or caramel. Nothing heavy or overpowering, but still heady and clearly wonderfully matured over time. An absolute delight! I brought a 25ml graduated cylinder to the tasting, and we each had two measures. We spent a total of 2 hours nosing, tasting, discussing all three vintages. Going back to the 40 each time was a wonderful trip down memory lane, thinking of all that happened to me in the prior 40/41 years. Yes, $800USD for the bottle, but what the heck! I didn't draw a paycheck for 45 years to not do something wonderful, just once, like this. I have 80% of the bottle remaining. If my distribution source gets another 40 in stock, I will jump on it like white on rice! The 17 was our collective favorite between it and the 21. But the comparison of those two versus the 40 was no comparison! The 40 was just simply the best! Given what it took that nectar to acquire it's characteristics, well worth the price!

Snelius liked that
    Options

@dennislhopkins Visited Glenfarclas Distillery lsst April...they do great whisky at very reasonable prices.Some 40 yr olds out there are £2,000 +,so to be able to get Glenfarclas 40 for £750,tells you how good a bargain there whisky is!15,21,and 25 are all worth tasting too.I imagine the 40 yr old would be an unforgettable tasting experience.If I win the Lottery,its the first thing I'll buy!!!

dennislhopkins liked that