Your choice of REGULAR whisky?

• Hung_Pham
    Topic creator
    Member Hung_Pham

Hi all,

I am relatively new to Scotch, but I've tried quite a few different ones for the past 2 years.  For a while, Lagavulan 16 was my regular, but i've gradually tried some new non-peated whisky. I went from Lagavulan 16 to Glenlivet 15/18 and now my regular is the Maccalan 12 Sherry Oak.

What is your regular for this fall/winter so far?

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7314/27109558506_94881b3097_o.jpg[/img]

• Andyvans Member Andyvans Joined: 26.07.2015Posts: 34CollectionAndyvanss CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

Even though I turned to bourbons this winter, my most regular scotch earlier this year was Tomatin 12. Don’t know why I chose it over more expensive options in my bar, but I just liked it a lot. My second choice was Nikka from the Barrel. Interestingly, the first one is chill filtered, the second one is blended, and now bourbons!? Something is not right here :redface:

• SSGN_Doc Member Joined: 26.05.2018Posts: 7Ratings: 0
    Options

@Andyvans 

Glenmorrangie was where my Scotch journey began.  So, I find I go back to it frequently.  I like their 18 year single select malt for special occasions.  Their La Santa gets similar flavor notes but not quite as deep or rich.  It’s also cheaper but, like the 18 year it gets finish aged in Sherry casks.

Glenlivet is another I enjoy, along with Balvinne and Glenfiddich.

Ardbeg and Lagavulin are the Islay whiskies I tend to stick with.

• Peloquin Member Joined: 10.08.2018Posts: 7CollectionPeloquins CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

I love Loch Lomond 12 and make sure there it's always some in. The Wife got me a bottle of Glen Scotia Victoriana and that is one of the best I've tried but at £84 a bottle in my local shop it's a bit steep for a daily drinker.

• TheGreatMothra Member TheGreatMothra Joined: 30.03.2016Posts: 27CollectionRatings: 160
    Options

My standard go to bottles for the last year have been Bunnahabhain 12, Balvenie 12 Double wood, and Glenlivet Nadurra white oak (haven't had the new batch of this yet though).

They all seem to be fairly available at good prices where I am, and they're good all rounders in my book.

• Ian_Crombie Member Ian_Crombie Joined: 11.06.2018Posts: 126Ratings: 0
    Options

@TheGreatMothra my go to bottles would be Glenfarclas 15,Glengoyne 15,Talisker 10,Bunnahabain 12,Aberlour Casg Annamh.Some more luxury bottles have been Glenfarclas 21,Talisker 18, The Glenlivet 18,Aberlour 18...all GRRREAT!

• dennislhopkins Member Joined: 13.12.2018Posts: 47Collectiondennislhopkinss CollectionRatings: 20
    Options

@Hung_Pham  My "go to" Scotch is Glen Scotia (Campbeltown) Double Cask. It is positively decadent! I think a MUCH better buy and value than the Glen Scotia 15, which is about $25USD more expensive!

• neilstucky1 Member Joined: 01.01.2019Posts: 8Ratings: 0
    Options

Hung_Pham said:

Hi all,

I am relatively new to Scotch, but I've tried quite a few different ones for the past 2 years.  For a while, Lagavulan 16 was my regular, but i've gradually tried some new non-peated whisky. I went from Lagavulan 16 to Glenlivet 15/18 and now my regular is the Maccalan 12 Sherry Oak.

What is your regular for this fall/winter so far?

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7314/27109558506_94881b3097_o.jpg[/img]

Great quesyion and for me the answer changes all the time, depending on my mood, the weather.....pretty much anything

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Hung_Pham 

My regular whiskies varies a bit but Talisker 10 shows up there together with Clynelish 14.

• Ian_Crombie Member Ian_Crombie Joined: 11.06.2018Posts: 126Ratings: 0
    Options

@bedlamborn Both very good..Clynelish 14 is sooo lemony,mustardy..very refreshing..every bottle i've bought has been consistently very good.Glen garioch 12 is very good too...given 90 by Ralfy,said it reminded him of how Macallan used to be!!!It is fun to try new whiskies you are not sure you will like,and they turn out to be better than expected!!!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Ian_Crombie Unfortunately now the Glengoyne 15 yo is not availble anymore in Sweden :frown:
    Clynelish also age very well. My best whisky experience was a Clynelish 34yo.