18-21 year old single malt Scotch

• Wailin
    Topic creator

Hey folks

My first post here and looking for some experienced advice. I'm treating myself, this Christmas, to a nice bottle of Scotch single malt. Only drinking scotch the last year or so, previously drinking Irish (which I still love btw). My current bottles of Scotch inc Talisker 10, Lag 16, Ardbeg 10, Ardbeg Uigeadail, Glenmorangie 10 and some JW. I'm looking to get a really nice Highland malt (although all recommendations welcome) that must be at least 18 years old, preferably 21 for those special occasions. My budget is max £220/€250. Look forward to hearing some of your choices!

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

Hello @Wailin and welcome!

Considering what you wrote before I'd recommend either Glenfarclas 21 or Glendronach Parliament (also 21 years old) as the next step - both are easily within your limit and are very drinkable Whiskys from Sherry Casks. Glenfarclas 21 (at 43% abv) is available throughout Europe from 60€ to 80€s, Glendronach Parliament (at 48% abv) is at the moment risung in price and available from 90€ to 120€.

If you're looking for something more special than these Standards take a look at either one of the Glenfarclas Family Casks (might just fit into your limit) or some independent bottling of 20+ years old malts - I'd recommend especially Cadenhead's or otherwise some Signatory or Gordon & MacPhails, though you might want to try some sample of these before actually buying. All of them have a wide range in the desired age and region - availability varies, as many of their bottlings are single casks and therefore very limited in quantity.

Hope this helps - just remember that choosing and looking for special whiskys ist a good part of the fun! :wink:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
    Wailin liked that
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Wailin 

First I would recommend a non Highland malt and it is the Talisker 18. More complex than the 10 year old and a good price also. But also less smoke in that one.

Now for a highland malt there is several interesting choices. I would recommend either Glengoyne 21 year old. A good sherry influenced whisky with a beautiful packaging. Depends on here you buy it price can be good.

Next suggestion is the Balblair vintage 1991. It is a 27 year old which is very cheap for being so old since Balblair is not so popular but it is a quality highland single malt,.

Wailin liked that
  • Wailin
    Topic creator
    Options

Thanks guys. Glendronach 21 has been one I was thinking of. Between that and Glengoyne 21 what would be your choice? Both sherry influenced, pretty hard for me to choose.

Talisker 18 is one I've been also thinking of getting, priced very well too.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Wailin 

Either one is good. You cannot go wrong with either GlenDronach or the Glengoyne. However with the Glengoyne I think that it needs a lot of air to open up. Don't expect to open it and enjoy it five minutes later. It needs air to bring the full flavour. At least it was like that for me.

Wailin liked that