Tell me what you've bought recently

• TheGreatMothra Member TheGreatMothra Joined: 30.03.2016Posts: 27CollectionRatings: 160
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage I've just started a couple of bottles that are both great, a James Eadie 9 year old Benrinnes which tastes more strongly of raisin than just about any other whisky I've ever had. Also a bottle of Benriach Cask Strength Batch 2, which I think will be my go to replacement for Abunadh following that ridiculous price hike.

DramTasticVoyage liked that
  • DramTasticVoyage
    Topic creator
    Member DramTasticVoyage
    Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@TheGreatMothra If you enjoy that raisin flavor, you should try Tomatin 12 Year. I think I paid $25 US for it (Cheapest age statement single malt i've ever seen). It has very strong notes of raisin/date/plum. Its very good and you cant beat that price! Not sure if its that cheap outside of the US though. It always amazes me how much the price of certain brands fluctuate from one country to the next. 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• TheGreatMothra Member TheGreatMothra Joined: 30.03.2016Posts: 27CollectionRatings: 160
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely check it out. You definitely got a deal on it at that price, even in the UK it retails at about £30-£35.

DramTasticVoyage liked that
  • monikasharmasbg Member Joined: 13.09.2018Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@TheGreatMothra Can you tell me please what is the difference between whisky, scotch, rum botka?? I don't know about it & want to know.

• Obiscott Member Joined: 22.07.2016Posts: 4CollectionObiscott's CollectionRatings: 6
    Options

@Otter Great choices to get the ball rolling. If I by chance, I am ever asked for an opinion while I stare for hours at the shelves in the liquor store, I love to point people to StrathIsla and or Old Pultney for some "reasonably" priced and I believe value for money drams.  And when I do grab a "big dog" I will try to pair it with a one of these bottles which helps keep me from draining the big ticket item too quickly.   And FWIW your idea of a Highland Park is a good one although the Magnus and some of the other NAS options there are good as well. 

• Wailin Member Joined: 23.10.2018Posts: 5Ratings: 0
    Options

Hey all. My most recent purchase was Ardbeg 10 and I was a bit disappointed with it since I love Laga 16 so much. I've seen the Ardbeg hailed as the best from Islay but not to me. Too much of a gasoline type of aroma and taste from the smoke. I'm guessing Laphroaig 10 would be a similar disappointment to me so I think I will stick to Laga 16 and 12. I do have Ardbeg Uigeadail unopened but after tasting the 10 I'm not as excited about is as I was originally! 

• Chiro Member Joined: 27.07.2018Posts: 15Ratings: 0
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage 

A couple of bottles of Glendronach 18 and a bottle of Aberlour 16. Both very nice but different. The Aberlour 16 is the easiest, smoothest scotch I’ve ever tried. Looking forward to trying the McCallan 12 next. 

• Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

Bought it today, in the Alicante airport, in Spain. Good reviews, specially in MoM, decently priced when compared with the most shops.

Will give feedback when I open it.

Regards,

Vasco

• Tzsteve Member Joined: 12.10.2018Posts: 6CollectionTzsteves CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

@TheGreatMothra 

I picked up a bottle of balblair 99 bottled in 2018 1st release at Edinburgh duty free last month.

I think it's one of the nicest whiskys I've ever tasted thus far. 

Also got a bottle of aberfeldy 12 and aberfeldy 21.

I've had a few sips of the 12 and it's pretty good. I haven't got round to opening the 21 yet but will have a dram over the holidays.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

Guess what I paid for this... Glenturret single cask 27 years old 1987/2015