Whistle Pig Straight Rye 10

• Chris963
    Topic creator

I received a bottle of the Straight Rye 10 year Whistle Pig and it tastes off.  I am trying to confirm if anyone else has ever had this experience?  I am not new to whiskey or rye but this tastes like it was run through moldy cheesecloth before being bottled.  Everything I have read about this spirit describes a wonderful flavor but the finish is really bad.

Can anyone confirm if there is a weird taste at the end of this whiskey?  I contacted the seller who told me the booze is an acquired taste which I may come to love which I found a little condescending. I love whiskey and have tasted dozens and dozens...we have done several whiskey tastings and scotch tastings and I have never encountered this before.

Thoughts?

• DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Chris963 I'd take the bottle to the man who told you it's an 'acquired taste' and let him sample it. 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Chris963 

There can be some problems with some whiskies. I think it could be due to cork taint, TCA.

The cause of cork taint, or TCA, comes from a chemical compound 2,4,6-trichloroanisole and/or TBA - 2,4,6-tribromoanisole. These compounds can exist in natural cork and, if present, will throw off the contents of something enclosed with a cork enclosure.

• Chris963
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn Thank you for the response - the cork looked weird when I opened it and have wondered if it that was the culprit.  I appreciate the reply.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Chris963 

I have never had it myself on a whisky fortunately so I don't know if one can smell it in the cork or not. Have you tried smelling the cork to see if it smells strange?

• brunowilson Member Joined: 31.05.2019Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

Have you tried smelling the cork? Do it taste strange?

spanish dictionary

• Gordy79 Member Joined: 24.12.2020Posts: 3Ratings: 0
    Options

Chris, I know your post is several years old, however, I too found the Whistle Pig 10 Year Rye whiskey to be off-putting. 

Being from Canada, I appreciate the American Rye Whiskey’s more than anything. 

For those readers considering Whistle Pig, I would encourage you to spend your time and money on the likes of Willett Family Estates Rye Whiskey, Pikesville Rye, Michter’s Rye, High West, or even Rittenhouse Rye. 

Whistle Pig seems to be enjoying some unwarranted attention, and why, I’ll never understand. But quite frankly, it’s the worst whiskey purchase I’ve ever made. 

I’d like to see rye drinkers post their top 3 ryes of all time. 

Options

Chris963 said:

I received a bottle of the Straight Rye 10 year Whistle Pig and it tastes off.  I am trying to confirm if anyone else has ever had this experience?  I am not new to whiskey or rye but this tastes like it was run through moldy cheesecloth before being bottled.  Everything I have read about this spirit describes a wonderful flavor but the finish is really bad.

Can anyone confirm if there is a weird taste at the end of this whiskey?  I contacted the seller who told me the booze is an acquired taste which I may come to love which I found a little condescending. I love whiskey and have tasted dozens and dozens...we have done several whiskey tastings and scotch tastings and I have never encountered this before.

Thoughts?

@Chris963 
    Chris, I know your post is several years old, however, I too found the 10 year Whistle Pig Rye to be off-putting. 
    I was really enthused when I purchased the bottle. Being from Canada, I appreciate the American ryes much more than Canadian ones. They capture the true essence of rye. 

For those reading this and contemplating buying Whistle Pig, your money will be better spent on the likes of Willett Family Estate Rye, PIkesville Rye Whiskey, Michter's Rye Whiskey, High West Rye Whiskey, or even Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey. 

Whistle Pig was the most disappointing whiskey I've ever purchased. My only hope is to steer others clear of this higher-priced whiskey, and towards something more reasonable. Whistle Pig seems to be enjoying some unwarranted recognition from media groups. 

I'd like to see rye-lovers rate their top 3 whiskeys in response to this post. 

Options

Chris963 said:

Thoughts?

@Chris963 

Chris, I know your post is several years old, however, I too found the Whistle Pig 10 Year Rye whiskey to be off-putting. 

Being from Canada, I appreciate the American Rye Whiskey’s more than anything. 

For those readers considering Whistle Pig, I would encourage you to spend your time and money on the likes of Willett Family Estates Rye Whiskey, Pikesville Rye, Michter’s Rye, High West, or even Rittenhouse Rye. 

Whistle Pig seems to be enjoying some unwarranted attention, and why, I’ll never understand. But quite frankly, it’s the worst whiskey purchase I’ve ever made. 

I’d like to see rye drinkers post their top 3 ryes of all time.