Amrut (India Single Malt)

• DramTasticVoyage
    Topic creator
    Member DramTasticVoyage
    Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4

Saw a few bottles of this brand at my local store. Price seemed a bit steep for a complete unknown so i passed until i could read some reviews. Anyone tried any of these expressions? Looks like theres about 3. No peat, some peat, heavy peat. I'd love to have an Indian Single Malt at my bar just to spice things up. The reviews seem mixed. Lot of 'meh, so so' reviews out there. Thoughts? 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

Tagged:
    Whiskygalore liked that
  • Andyvans Member Andyvans Joined: 26.07.2015Posts: 34CollectionAndyvanss CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

I bought a bottle about 6 months ago when it was on sale 50% at my local retailer. It was Amrut Portpipe Single Cask cask strength 59%. I wanted to like it but pretty soon the bottle migrated from my bar to the storage shelf. Will not buy it again. To me it tasted like a very basic scotch mixed with port wine. No wow.

On the other hand, I tried Nikka from the Barrel recently and it was a total Wow!, especially for a blended whisky. Now, if you are looking for a unique flavour, Nikka might not be the one because it reminds me of some good classic scotches, like Dalwhinnie 15. It is just super nice and complex to enjoy on any occasion. I would still recommend it for a bar, unlike Amrut.

• Andyvans Member Andyvans Joined: 26.07.2015Posts: 34CollectionAndyvanss CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

Would like to add to my earlier reply. I just picked up a bottle of Nikka From The Barrel for my bar, tasted it again, and glad to say that it does certainly have some uniqueness being a blend of grain and malt whiskies. To me, it is like the best of bourbon and scotch blended together. There are certainly bourbon notes from the grain (I heard in some reviews it is actually corn), as well as from sherry scotch, and even some smoke on the finish. Very complex and very different from everything else. 

DramTasticVoyage liked that
  • DramTasticVoyage
    Topic creator
    Member DramTasticVoyage
    Options

@Andyvans Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably pass on the Amrut for now. Unless it goes the way of Haig Single Grain and hits rock bottom price just to move units, lol.

You mentioned Dalwhinnie 15 Year. Have you tried any of their distillers edition? Here in Florida the DE is cheaper than the 15yr and its 2 years older! Excellent pour! Highly recommend! 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

Options

@DramTasticVoyage Here in Canada the DE expression is almost twice the price of the 15 and not that common in stores. So maybe some day. 

DramTasticVoyage liked that
  • DramTasticVoyage
    Topic creator
    Member DramTasticVoyage
    Options

@Andyvans It always amazes me how the price of scotch fluctuates so much from region to region! 

~Joel Rosenburg

• Peloquin Member Joined: 10.08.2018Posts: 7CollectionPeloquins CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

Amrut do some decent drinks, Fusion is great once you get used to it but for my money, if going Indian then Paul John is the go to.

P.J. Brilliance is lovely.

• OdysseusUnbound Member OdysseusUnbound Joined: 05.06.2019Posts: 14Ratings: 0
    Options

I’ve tasted some magnificent Amrut whiskies that rival any Scotch or Irish Single malt. Amrut Intermediate Sherry, Amrut Portonova, and several Amrut Single Casks I’ve tried have all been terrific. To each their own.