Glenfarclas 12

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie

I've never tried this one,as started with the 15,but it gets good reviews,even an 85 from Ralfy and seems to be a very good example of a younger GlenF!Only £38 for a 1 Litre bottle,so as usual,great value for money.Hopefully taste this at weekend!

DramTasticVoyage liked that
  • DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    , edited August 23 2018 at 2:57PM
    Options

@Ian_Crombie I watched an interview with Glenn Grant who owns Glenfarclas distillery. In the interview he admitted that he loved all of their expressions, but Glenfarclas 12 Year was "True" Glenfarclas and his favorite. If you're on the fence about buying, I say go for it! It is perfection in a bottle. Really well rounded dram. Add a splash of water. It really opens it up. 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Ian_Crombie 

Quite liked it but i felt it needed a couple of more years in a barrel to open up.

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie
    Options

@bedlamborn Think you are correct!!!Seems slightly under maturated to me,with only a slight hint of usual toasted Glenfarclas flavours.Nice enough,but would never give it 90+ in a rating.Maybe it will improve during the bottle,but I'm slightly disappointed to be perfectly honest,although very good value for money!!!My advice....spend the extra and get the 15 :46% abv....well worth it!!!

bedlamborn liked that
  • DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Ian_Crombie I had to add a few drops of water to get the full potential out of it. And funny you mention that it might improve as the bottle goes down. I've encountered this so many times, where the first couple of drams out of a new bottle dont appeal to me. But then as the bottle goes down a bit, it starts tasting very good. This just happened over the weekend with a bottle of Loch Lomond 12yr. Initially, I didnt like it at all. But i've since tried it several more times and it's very pleasant all of a sudden. 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage Clynelish 14,now thats one thats good from first tasting.Well worth a try if you havent tasted it.Ralfy gave it 91!!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage 

For me the Glengoyne has been like that. The first drams are okay and then they become very good with some more air in the bottle.

DramTasticVoyage liked that
  • Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie
    Options

@bedlamborn I found all Glengoynes 12,15,18 and 21 to be very good.Not to mention Cask Strengths too..Batch 5 or 6!Would like to visit Distillery..its 15 miles from Glasgow!!

bedlamborn liked that
    Options

@Ian_Crombie 

I am tasting the 18 year old Glengoyne now and omm the 15 yar old. Very good stuff from them.

I hope that next year I can visit Glengoyne.

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie
    Options

@bedlamborn The 18 yr old is very good...green apples,marzipan,walnuts and coffee flavour profile...Mmmmmmm

bedlamborn liked that