Can anyone give me any info on this? UPDATE!

• Fo_2
    Topic creator
    , edited September 7 2018 at 1:17AM

I bought this for my dad's 60th birthday. The website said it was from the 1960s, but the bottle looks a lot newer than that unless it's just in exceptional condition. There is no proof listed on the label which makes me think it's pre-1980s but I can't be certain. There are many pictures on the internet and all the labels are different. Any help would be greatly appreciated. UPDATE Found a pic of the exact bottle on display at the Yamazaki Distillery Museum!imageimage

DramTasticVoyage liked that
  • DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Fo A quick google search brings up this exact bottle celebrating the 60th anniversary edition that was made in the 60s. The label and bottle look identical. BUT....you might have the real deal given there is no ABV posted. I doubt they re-released this edition between its original date and whenever ABV laws were enacted. If it is an original bottle, it's in fantastic condition! I imagine it would pull some good coin at the right auction with the demand for Japanese whisky being what it is. Keep us posted if you find any more info on this. 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• Fo_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage thanks for the reply. I'm hoping it's the real deal, but I'll have to keep searching for a definitive answer.

• DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Fo Has the bottle been opened at all? If not, im looking at the neck fill line. That looks low enough to be from the 60s for sure. 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• Fo_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage nope, hasn't been opened. And this may be a bit cynical, but I've read stories of people filling bottles so they appear like evaporation has occurred and trying to pass them off as older. It's possible it is from the 60s, but it is in very good condition for its age then. Fingers crossed

Options

@Fo Oh that definitely happens. But it's usually on the big name, highly sought after vintage bottles. The Ardbegs, Macallans, Etc..

This doesnt strike me as something those people would go out of their way to forge.

~Joel Rosenburg

• Fo_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage I did find the same bottle on the italian ebay website, and it appeared sealed, and the fill level was well below the top of the label :eek:

Options

@Fo Improper storage most likely. Those old bottles need to be stored in something close to a dungeon to keep from evaporating, lol

~Joel Rosenburg

• Fo_2
    Topic creator
  • buckwurst Member Joined: 06.09.2018Posts: 7Ratings: 0
    Options

The neck label mentions "tokui" which was a class/grading system used in Japan for whiskies that was abolished in, I think 1989. So its at least from before then.

If it's the 60th Anniversary bottling, it could be the establishing of Suntory (1899) which would make it from 1959/60 or possibly the establishment of the first whisky distillery, Yamazaki, (1923) which would make it from 1983. However, I think it's more likely to be from 59/60 as the Suntory Royal Brand was created then to mark the 60th anniversary. Needless to say, this is a very rare bottle, and probably quite delicious, if it has been stored correctly for the last 60+ years. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it?

If you do open, prepare for the cork to disintegrate, and give it at least 20 minutes breathing time before trying. If you haven't opened it, and depending on its providence, it could be worth quite a bit in Japan (and also outside)

• Fo_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@buckwurst i got it from a company called dekanta. it was on their website. It took 6 weeks to get here from Japan.