Barrel conditioning

• Zeppy_J
    Topic creator
    Member Zeppy_J
    , edited August 26 2018 at 12:26PM

imageHi All

I’m after some bulk opinions. New to this forum but relatively experienced in the ways of whisky. 

I have an ~10lt barrel which I made whilst doing a stint of coopering for my wife’s distillery in Hobart, Australia . It is made from ex Jack Daniels bourbon barrel (~225lt?) staves cut down to size. I have recently filled it with Australian fortified wine (“Port”) which I am in the process of drinking in a somewhat solero system of drink some then top it up...I have access to some premium new make which I’m planning to fill this particular barrel with.  What I’m after is some opinions on how long I should leave it filled with port before putting the new make spirit in. Laws in Australia stipulate that to officially call a spirit “whisky” it must be barrel aged a minimum of two years (plus ingredient caveats). I’m estimating given surface area of wood to spirit ratio I should be having some ripper booze in 8-12 months after filling...given this is for private use it’s a moot point but interested in the interwebs opinion on preconditioning time....

thanks in advance for any reply

Slainte

ZJ

DramTasticVoyage liked that
  • DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Zeppy_J I'll be following this thread intently as I am doing the same thing myself! I've only got a 2 liter barrel. Its charred but never held any spirits. I've currently got it filled with Guiness Stout. I've had it in there for about a week and i plan on leaving it for another 10 days or so. Afterward, i intend to fill it with Irish whiskey. Either Powers Signature Release or Jameson Black Barrel.

As for how long your port should be left in, i'm not sure. It's been very difficult finding information on these smaller barrels. However, i did read that the maturation time is drastically reduced when the volume/surface area is so small. For me, im just going to continue to go by taste. Once i can taste the wood in the Guiness, i'll swap it for the whisky. Good luck and keep us posted! Cheers! 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    , edited August 20 2018 at 1:51PM
    Options

@Zeppy_J  While looking for some research material on barrel aging, I found this video on youtube. This is my Command Sergeant Major from the last unit I served in while i was in the army! He's retired with style! He gives some great info about barrel aging that I wasnt aware of. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgKD6hA-_5c 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• Zeppy_J
    Topic creator
    Member Zeppy_J
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage thanks for the info. I’ll Check out the YouTube vid. Port has been in for about a month now and just staring to take some wood. I did give the inside a moderate char to get crocodile skin texture. Will keep you updated 

cheers

DramTasticVoyage liked that
    Options

@Zeppy_J So my Jameson Black Barrel has been sitting in the barrel (that previously held Guiness) for 11 days now. Had a sample last night and it's coming along very nicely! It's significantly sweeter and I swear the viscosity has increased quite a bit. Any luck on your project? 

~Joel Rosenburg

• buckwurst Member Joined: 06.09.2018Posts: 7Ratings: 0
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage I "barrel age" negronis in a 700ml wooden European Oak bottle (not glass). In the beginning, 5 days was more than enough, now, after maybe 20 refills, 8-9 days still gives it the woody punch I'm looking for. So yeah, aging is rapid with high surface to spirit ratio.