Top 3 of 10yo scotches

• Andyvans
    Topic creator
    Member Andyvans
    Joined: 26.07.2015Posts: 34CollectionAndyvanss CollectionRatings: 4

One thing I came to appreciate in my experience with whisky tasting is that older not always mean better. It often means different. Longer maturation make take away something special and replace it with also special, yet something very different. In my experience, more matured whiskies tend to be sweeter and more mellow. But I often crave for something dry and salty, like beef jerky, instead of something sweeter, like raisin snack. And often it is the younger whiskies that satisfy this craving best.

So I would be interested to know what would be your top 3 10yo scotches, if any. For me, I currently have only one on the list - Ardbeg 10. I have Talisker 10 but still can’t warm up to it. Glenmorangie 10 would be another good choice but I just don’t enjoy Glenmorangie line in general. So as Glenfiddich and Glenlivet. I am sure there must be some other gems in the 10yo category. Please share what is on your list.

• DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Andyvans I hear from many people that Benromach 10yr is very good. Unfortunately, I've been unable to locate any in my area. 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Andyvans 

My favourite 10yo scotches is the following.

Talisker 10yo

Bruichladich 10yo

Brnromach 10yo

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

Another vote for Benromach...

1) Benromach 10

2) Talisker 10

3) Springbank 10

• Andyvans
    Topic creator
    Member Andyvans
    Joined: 26.07.2015Posts: 34CollectionAndyvanss CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

Springbank 10 is at the top of my list for next purchase, but wow - three out of three mentions of Benromach 10 is quite impressive. Honestly, I’ve never even hear about it. Will definitely look more into this distillery.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    , edited August 8 2018 at 10:41AM
    Options

@Andyvans 

Personally, I thought the other expressions that I tried from Benromach (organic & peat smoke) were just okay. But the 10...? fantastic stuff.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@kroman @Andyvans 

The Benromach peat is not so good IMHO. The organic is nice but the 10yo is better.

Then you also have the 10yo 100 proof which is as good as the 10yo but is somewhat different. It is not just the 10yo bottled at 100 proof but I fee that the cask selection is different.

Finally benromach wine finishes I also find quite good but not their Sassicaia finish,

, edited August 9 2018 at 8:37AM
    Options

Finally benromach wine finishes I also find quite good but not their Sassicaia finish,

Thanks for the heads up.

@bedlamborn ...you and I made a HUGE mistake, though.  

The best 10 year scotch I ever had (and I can't believe I forgot it) is the Signatory Vintage Edradour 10 year old!  Ignore the regular 10 year old, the Signatory Vintage un-chillfiltered, bottled at 46% is fantastic juice!  It's a complex sherry bomb that's worth every drop.

• Sakumaru Member Joined: 07.08.2018Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

@Andyvans Springbank 10. Laphroaig and Ardbeg are also good. I imagine Port Charlotte 10 and Octomore 10 are amazing, but I havent had the pleasure yet. Same with BenRomach which Ive made a mental note about after reading this.

Options

@kroman 

I have tried to find their Signatory bottling but they are not avileble to me and when I have been to Scotland they have been sold out!