Glenfarclas 15,17 & 105

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie

All three of these are very good,the 15 is a full flavoured 46%,17 is nice and sherried sweet plus butterscotch,and 105 is nice and spicy at a full 60% ABV,but very nice with some water.Cant go wrong with Glenfarclas and visited distillery in April,it was great,staff were very helpful.Got a 25 yr old too!

• DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Ian_Crombie I love Glenfarclas. One of the few family owned distilleries left in Scotland. Everyone else has been bought up by foreign companies. They still use fire to heat their stills as well. I watched an interview with the owner of the company and he is such a down to earth guy. The interviewer asked him, how can you justify only charging 300 Pounds for your 40 year scotch? He replied: "300 pounds is the most you can take out of the ATM. This way, men can withdraw cash and pay for this bottle and their wives wont the liquor store on the bank statement" :lol:

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Ian_Crombie 

The 105 seems to split peoples minds. Some love it and some hate it. Also the different batches seem to be different. The one I tasted was very good.

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie
    Options

@bedlamborn Last one i had was good.Watch Ralfy review to 'decant/oxygenate' it.He only gave it 83/100...87.5 would be my review mark!

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage Visited Glenfarclas Distillery in April,got a 25 year old..truly great place and really friendly.Would love to try the 40 yr old,but around £700,still cheap for a 40 yr old.Like the 15,17,21 too..all excellent whiskies..Direct Fired Indeed!!!

DramTasticVoyage liked that
  • DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Ian_Crombie Ralfy can be pretty harsh when grading whisky! I've seen him "83" a few of my beloved bottles as well. I've only seen a small handful that made 90 or above. I wonder if there is a list somewhere that shows every rank he gave? I'd be interested to check out his highest marks. 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage He did give 91 marks to Talisker 18 and Glengoyne 21,both excellent whiskies.He did give 92 to Glen Scotia 15,which i didnt like that much.Each to his own i suppose.Only gave 84 to Aberlour 18,which is very harsh indeed!!

Options

@Ian_Crombie Jameson Gold Reserve got a 91 as well. I was glad to see he enjoyed that as much as I did! That review also had my all time favorite Ralfy line: "I believe if this bottle had an arse, the sun would be shining out of it" :lol:

I recommend picking up some of that if you havent tried it yet. Its been discontinued but can still be found at stores if you look for it. Damn good stuff. 

~Joel Rosenburg

• Ian_Crombie
    Topic creator
    Member Ian_Crombie
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage Just come back from Belfast.Never tried Irish whisky!

Options

@Ian_Crombie Wow! Well you've got some tasting to do! I prefer scotch because of the wonderful variety of flavor profiles i can choose from, but Irish Whiskey is very tasty. My all time favorite whiskey is Irish: Redbreast 12 year. I love all of Jameson's line up as well. Even the base model, plain ol twist off cap, $20 a bottle regular Jameson is delicious. Some recommendations:

CHEAP:

Jameson

Jameson Cask Mates Stout Edition

Bushmills Black

NOT QUITE AS CHEAP:

Jameson Black Barrel

Powers Signature Reserve

KIND OF EXPENSIVE:

Jameson Gold Reserve

Redbreast (12, 15, or 21 year...all wonderful)

Bushmills 16 Year

Powers John Lane

Get out there and try some!

~Joel Rosenburg

• Marko_I Member Marko_I Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 12Ratings: 0
    Options

@Ian_Crombie Ralfy can be pretty harsh when grading whisky! I've seen him "83" a few of my beloved bottles as well. I've only seen a small handful that made 90 or above. I wonder if there is a list somewhere that shows every rank he gave? I'd be interested to check out his highest marks. 

https://ralfywhisky.webnode.be/ralfy/whisky/