Hi from Australia

• Chiro
    Topic creator

Hi all,

I’ve just started on the slippery slope of enjoying whisky. I really enjoy Horst’s video reviews. Thanks to him I have a bottle of Glen Dronarch Allerdice 18 on the way :-)

I’ve only tried 25 whiskys while keeping a log. My two favourites so far are Yamazaki 12 and Glenlivet Nadurra 16 (pity I can’t find another one of these) with Bunnahabhain 12 not far away. I’ve found I really don’t enjoy peated whisky at this stage after trying Ardbeg and Laphroaig. 

Keen to try Aberlour 18 and the Dalwhinnie 15 distillers edition (didn’t mind the standard15). 

Looking forward to to chatting about whisky. 

Cheers

Rick

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Chiro 

Welcome

Aberlour is great.  I've tried them all (just about), and I would recommend the 16 year over the 18.  I'm finishing the 18 right now, and personally I find the oak to be a little too forward.  The 16 is a perfect blend, though.

• Chiro
    Topic creator
    , edited July 28 2018 at 3:32AM
    Options

kroman said:

@Chiro 

Welcome

Aberlour is great.  I've tried them all (just about), and I would recommend the 16 year over the 18.  I'm finishing the 18 right now, and personally I find the oak to be a little too forward.  The 16 is a perfect blend, though.

Thanks for the Welcome. I’ll keep an eye out for the 16 next time I’m out. 

• A.Shafner Guest, Member A.Shafner Joined: 28.12.2016Posts: 10CollectionWhisky ShelvesRatings: 138
    Options

Hey. You can also trie Springbank 10 or 15. Highland Park 12 or 18. Macallan amber  or 12 would be good for you too. Trie to find something that you really like but always challenge yourself with something new.  Your preferences will change with experience. Start with something basic and slowly move up. Just my opinion. Good luck and enjoy. Cheers.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Chiro 

I also agree with @kroman , go for the 16.

• Chiro
    Topic creator
    Options

A.Shafner said:

Hey. You can also trie Springbank 10 or 15. Highland Park 12 or 18. Macallan amber  or 12 would be good for you too. Trie to find something that you really like but always challenge yourself with something new.  Your preferences will change with experience. Start with something basic and slowly move up. Just my opinion. Good luck and enjoy. Cheers.

I love trying different whiskys. A bit like looking for the holy grail

• DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Chiro If you ever want to venture out from Scotch, Irish whiskey is pretty decent as well. I'd recommend Redbreast 12 year. You'll fall in love immediately.

I also am not a fan of heavily peated whisky, although I do enjoy lightly peated. Highland Park 12 and Magnus are good. Johnnie Walker Green Label is very good as well. Smoky, but not overbearing like the Ardbeg/Laphroag

The Dalwhinnie Distillers Edition is fantastic! You'll definitely enjoy that one if you like the 15yr.

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• Chiro
    Topic creator
    Options

@Chiro If you ever want to venture out from Scotch, Irish whiskey is pretty decent as well. I'd recommend Redbreast 12 year. You'll fall in love immediately.

I also am not a fan of heavily peated whisky, although I do enjoy lightly peated. Highland Park 12 and Magnus are good. Johnnie Walker Green Label is very good as well. Smoky, but not overbearing like the Ardbeg/Laphroag

The Dalwhinnie Distillers Edition is fantastic! You'll definitely enjoy that one if you like the 15yr.

I’ve only tried the standard Jamiesons and Bushmills 10 Irish whiskys. I liked both of these. I haven’t seen the Redbreast 12 around yet

DramTasticVoyage liked that
  • DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Chiro Keep an eye out for the Redbreast. It's light years better than both of those. Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey has a very unique flavor profile. Tastes like shortbread cookies and has a wonderful creamy mouthfeel to it. If you cant find the Redbreast, Powers Signature Release is very similar and a bit cheaper. 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• Chiro
    Topic creator
    Options

@Chiro Keep an eye out for the Redbreast. It's light years better than both of those. Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey has a very unique flavor profile. Tastes like shortbread cookies and has a wonderful creamy mouthfeel to it. If you cant find the Redbreast, Powers Signature Release is very similar and a bit cheaper. 

I’ll definitely keep an eye out for it. I’ve heard people rate the Powers one before. 

DramTasticVoyage liked that