Something Comparable to Redbreast 12

• DramTasticVoyage
    Topic creator
    Member DramTasticVoyage
    Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4

Going to see a friend this weekend and we usually both pick up some scotch neither of us have tried for the occasion. He's decided he wants to do an Irish Whiskey weekend. We've both had (and love dearly) Redbreast 12 year. I'm just wondering if their is anything else comparable out there. I hear Greenspot is supposed to be very good, but my buddy says he's tried it and didnt care for it at all. I'm leaning towards Writers Tears as it seems to get some good reviews online. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. PS: I'm trying to stay at or below the Redbreast budget. Thanks! 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    , edited June 9 2018 at 9:40AM
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage 

Writers Tears (Cask Strength) would be a good choice, but unfortunately this is above the set limit.

What you might want to try are the Powers Single Pot Stills, if they're easily available to you.

Both the Signature and the 12 yrs old John's Lane Expression are very good!

I wasn't too impressed with Green Spot either, but maybe you can find the Leoville Barton Edition for an good price - the Red Wine Finish adds a very nice touch.

Of course you could always stay with the Redbreasts - both the 12 yrs C.C. and the 15 yrs are among my favourites, but of course they are also more expensive than the regular 12 yrs old.

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
    DramTasticVoyage liked that
  • ActionWhiskey Member Joined: 23.07.2018Posts: 3Ratings: 0
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage I understand the time limit has passed for this request but i have to second the Powers John's Lane recommendation. I currently have a bottle and adore it. Age statement and Pot Still, you wont go far wrong.

• DramTasticVoyage
    Topic creator
    Member DramTasticVoyage
    Options

@ActionWhiskey The timing is great actually! I just bought a bottle of Powers Signature last night and it was outstanding! I saw the John Lane right next to it and I wasnt sure so I bought one step down just to test the brand. I have no doubts the John Lane will be great. I was blown away by the Signature Release. That stuff is the closest to Redbreast i've ever tasted. 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

ActionWhiskey liked that
  • DramTasticVoyage
    Topic creator
    Member DramTasticVoyage
    Options

@SanctTom Does the Writers Tears have that same biscuity/cookie flavor of the Redbreast and Powers? 

~Joel Rosenburg

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage 

Writers Tears is more on the oaky side for me, with vanilla, honey and light, dry wood notes. Depends quite a lot of the batch you get - I'd recommend avoiding the 2016 edition as it had way too much oak even for me - 2017 was actually the best one in the last few years.

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)