Recommendation request

• rangerfan
    Topic creator

I have been drinking mostly light Speyside whisky up to now but want to expand my experience some. I am looking for something different and easy drinking. Probably not ready to go full Islay yet. I dont have access to good whisky bars to try so have been limited to buying a bottle at a time. Any recommendations welcome. Any source of samples shipped to Illinois, USA welcome as well. I have a lot I would like to try. 

Thanks in advance.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@rangerfan The first thing that popped in my head was Benromach 10 year.  It's still a Speyside, but it is also lightly peated, so you'll have a little bit of extra complexity without going too overboard.  It is pretty easy to find and affordable as well.  some other 1) easy to find, 2) unpeated, 3) "different", 4) approachable (yet complex) choices might include:

1)  Arran 14 year (or any non-peated Arran for that matter)

2)  Bunnahabhain 12 (it's 46.3 abv, so you might want to add a teaspoon of water, depending on your taste)

3)  Aberlour 12 year

4)  Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban

5)  Macallan Edition No. 2 (again, you might want to add some water to this, depending on your palate)

6)  The Balvenie 14 yr Caribbean cask (not my favorite, but lots of people love it)

7)  Compas Box Hedonism (it's a blended GRAIN (very rare for scotch), not single malt, but still very tasty and easy to 

drink)

I deliberately withheld some of the sherry bombs (glenfarclas, glendronach, edradour, and even glengoyne), as I can picture plenty of scotch novices saying that these are NOT easy drinking whiskies

rsmayfieVasco2 liked that
  • rangerfan
    Topic creator
    Options

@kroman Thank you! Great Suggestions. 

Benromach 10 is on my radar. Aberlour 12 as well. 

• rsmayfie Member rsmayfie Joined: 05.01.2018Posts: 1Collectionrsmayfies CollectionRatings: 1
    Options

@kroman I think the # 1 & 2 on this list are really good suggestions.

I'd also like to add what most of my novice friends love when I host tastings:

Oban 14

• DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@rangerfan Smart thinking not jumping to a full blown Islay! I have two suggestions for you that I think you'll love. Both of these have just enough smoke to taste/smell, but a nice degree of sweetness that you will enjoy as well. The first is Highland Park Magnus. This is a non age statement single malt. It is the cheapest HP coming in between $35-$40 but it is fantastic. I prefer it to the 12 year all day long. Its got almost a smoked ham taste to it (That probably doesnt sound good but it really is) and a nice sweet speyside undertone in the background. You'll love it!

The next one i'd recommend is an actual Islay, but not anywhere near as peated as typical Islay scotch. Its called Bunnahabhain 12 year. Similar profile as the Magnus. Lightly peated with a touch of salty sweet in the background. If you ever watch Ralfy Reviews (If not, you should!), he'll tell you that this was the very scotch that turned him into the scotch lover he is today.

Let us know what you end up trying and how you liked them! Remember to try them straight and then try a few drops of water to open it up a bit and see which way you prefer. Cheers! 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@rangerfan 

You could try the Clynelish 14. One step up from the lighter single malts.

As suggested earlier the Benromach 10 is also a good choice.

• DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@bedlamborn I've been going crazy trying to find Benromach in my area! Nobody carries it

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    , edited July 26 2018 at 9:33PM
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage 

In Sweden Benromach is very expensive, therefore I buy it when I am in the UK.

DramTasticVoyage liked that
    Options

@bedlamborn It's not very cheap here in the US either. I believe its usually priced between 70-80 Dollars

~Joel Rosenburg

, edited July 27 2018 at 5:05PM
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage 

The price is almost the same as in Sweden. Much cheaper in the UK.