Hi Guys! Another Newbie Here. Need your opinion

• chester_2
    Topic creator
    Joined: 04.07.2018Posts: 8Collectionchester's carton boxRatings: 1

Hi guys! newbie here from the Philippines.

Been watching the videos for the past few weeks now.

Have been buying and drinking for a while now but rarely the expensive ones. 

Still trying to figure out the "my collection" part of this site and will work on it later on.

Been slowly stocking up for an event in on March (hot season) where I need to serve cocktails and after dinner drinks for around 300 people. A few years ago majority were serving J.W Black in similar events but lately it has been J.W Gold or Double Black.

Majority of the guest will drink it on the rocks for sure :cry:

Already have the ones below but would like to get your opinion on which to get more? Did I miss anything with a similar price range?

The Singleton Dufftown 12

The Glenlivet 12

The Glenlivet Founders Reserve (might not serve)

J.W Double Black

J.W Gold Label

Also have the following but not sure if I'll add more:

Glenfiddich 12

Macallan 12

The Glenlivet 16 Nadurra

Thanks!

DramTasticVoyage liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@chester 

since you're serving JW you might consider other blends such as Chivas Mizunara (if you can find it), Dewar's 12 and 15 yo. Also consider Compass Box the Great King Street series (there are two, one is lightly peated I believe).

chester_2 liked that
  • chester_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@hwchoy 

Thanks for the recommendation. Will save up and try that King George V maybe for a smaller party. Was able to they the 21yr XR last week and think it's similar to Blue and just buy whichever is cheaper at that time. 

Will check Chivas Mizunara though haven't noticed it.

Though for this party, trying to look at single malts and trying to limit my whisky budget at only around the Glenlivet 12 or Glenmorangie10 price range. Then have a bottle or two of a nice one.

Thanks!

*did not put an amount for the price range as I think we would have different prices per region

hwchoy liked that
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@chester 

Dewars 12 I would also recommend.

chester_2 liked that
  • DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@chester If you are looking for good Scotch within a budget, you cant go wrong with Monkey Shoulder. Its a vatted malt (Combination of 3 Speyside single malts) and its probably the best value for money out there. Also, if you are going to have all those Johnnie Walker blends, you should have a bottle of Green Label handy! Green Label is easily my favorite of the line up. Someone at the event will love you for carrying this. Another fantastic single malt that is reasonably priced is Glenfarclas 12 year. You wont find too many scotch drinkers out there giving this whisky a bad review. Its excellent!~ 

If you are looking to supply some Irish Whiskey for the event, you absolutely cant beat Redbreast 12 year. Best Irish whiskey there is (In that price range), and possibly my favorite whiskey of all time! Jameson is another safe bet. The Jameson Caskmates are good. I prefer the Stout edition for sure. Also, the Jameson Black Barrel is very good as well.

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

chester_2Vasco2 liked that
  • chester_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage 

Have tried Monkey Shoulder though not in an ideal setting maybe that's why I didn't like it that much. Will try it again.

Do enjoy Green label but it has been a while since I had some.

Will check for the other bottles you recommend. And will try to get some. I think I've seen Glenfarlclas 12 somewhere. Jameson would also be available here but I'm not sure with Redbreast.

Thanks

DramTasticVoyage liked that
  • Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@chester If you are looking for good Scotch within a budget, you cant go wrong with Monkey Shoulder. Its a vatted malt (Combination of 3 Speyside single malts) and its probably the best value for money out there.

Unarguably my favourite inexpensive dram. Last thursay bought a litre bottle for €25 in Madrid Airport, just to have something to drink with my friends that don't like peaty malts (yes, I don't understand them either).

Regards,

Vasco

chester_2 liked that