Old bottles

• chester_2
    Topic creator
    Joined: 04.07.2018Posts: 8Collectionchester's carton boxRatings: 1

His guys,

An uncle passed away a few years ago and my aunt asked me to clear the liquor and wine cabinet. Split the bottles with other relatives and kept some.

Started drinking them the past 2 years. Notice that some of them are not in the database here. Well at least packaging version.

The Glenfiddich seem to have a higher alcohol content maybe cause of evaporation and didn't come with a cork. Interesting that Old Parr didn't seem to change their packaging/label.

imageimage

imageimageimage

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@chester 

Interesting stuff. The whiskies in a decanter. I wonder how much whisky there are left in them since they can be a bit of leaky.

DramTasticVoyage liked that
  • chester_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn 

The ones in a decanter/jug had corks but broke when I opened them. Just replaced the cork. Did have around approxmimately 70-80% content I guess cause of evaporation. But hard to tell as I didn't pour the contents out to measure them.

Also got some which I don't know what they are. Not a fan of this bottle and could not enjoy it. Not a whisky for sure.

• DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@bedlamborn I hear collectors avoid the ceramic decanters for that very reason. No way to tell where the neck line is without opening it and ruining the resale value. Best just to crack them open and pour a dram :smile: 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• chester_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage 

Makes sense. Thanks! Luckily I'm not a collector, and don't mind opening all the bottles given to me. And specially the ones I purchase :biggrin:

Btw alcohol content for the Long John is quite high for sure. Can't find any alcohol content printed on the bottle. Could be on the box or the label already fell from age. Can't have too much. Only my dad can drink it when he's in town.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@chester 

The bottle in that picture is a wine bottle. The wine from Franken has these special bottles. That is a spätlese wine from 1985. Quite a rare bottle nowadays.

Whisky should be enjoyed :smile: So it it is good that these bottles get drunk.

@DramTasticVoyage 

Never seen a decanter myself. Not for sale in Sweden at all.

chester_2 liked that
  • Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@bedlamborn I hear collectors avoid the ceramic decanters for that very reason. No way to tell where the neck line is without opening it and ruining the resale value. Best just to crack them open and pour a dram :smile: 

It's true, and don't forget that ceramic decanters are just a way to put a premium price tag in a product that's not a premium whisky. The original content of ceramic bottles may be better than Red Label, but surely are not Macallan.

Regards,

Vasco

• DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@bedlamborn With the exception of a special edition Tullemore D.E.W. i've never seen a ceramic decanter on the shelves either. The Tullemore is only like $40-$50 US so its not exactly top shelf stuff. I've actually thought about grabbing one just for the decanter. It would look good on a shelf, lol

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

chester_2 liked that
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage 

Would definitely look good on the shelf but how to find one with good whisky in?

Options

@bedlamborn I think distillers of fine whisky would rather not put their precious water of life in a ceramic decanter for all of the reasons listed above. So I doubt you'll have much luck finding this.

~Joel Rosenburg

• Helen_T Member Helen_T Joined: 12.04.2021Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    , edited April 12 2021 at 10:11AM
    Options

But does anyone here know where to find a good company which makes vintage personalized gin bottles?