I need opinion about MACALLAN 12 SHERRY OAK

• Joe1
    Topic creator

Ive heard that macallan 12 sherry oak from 1995 and under is awesome and all botteling in 1996 and above are not smelling good and not so tasty either.

Does it really difference between these years? Is that true or its all rumors and taste is excactly like any other?

• Joe1
    Topic creator
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Joe1 

I have tasted some Macallan and I find it nice but nothing special. Some reviewers love it while some think it has become worse. Maybe @horst_s could answer this one.

I saw some comparing the older 12 with the newer 12 and there was a difference in colour with less colour in the newer ones.

I was very disappointed in the Macallan Gold for example as it lacked in flavour compred to the 12.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@bedlamborn I can't tell you much. There are different bottlings out there with ABVs of 40% and 43%. Might be that that gives some differences.

It is as well clear, that Sherry casks became scarce at the distillery. From 2008 on Macallan started its old still house to increase production. From 2020 there should be significant more 12yo Sherry casks available. 

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Joe1
    Topic creator
    Options

@horst_s 

@bedlamborn thank you 2 for this help and answers.

If i have tried already balvenie 12, glenlivet 18(alot of thanking you horst because of ur review i have bought it and its the best bottle ive ever tasted) dalmore 18 and macallan 15(which is worst whiskey i tried i cant believe people actually love it) and glenfiddich 18 (very similar to balvenie 12 doublewood.

I found my self like whiskeys with oak taste and some oil...maybe you can suggest some for me to try

• Ian_Crombie Member Ian_Crombie Joined: 11.06.2018Posts: 126Ratings: 0
    Options

@Joe1 Glengoyne 15 is oaky and appley,Clynelish 14 is oily,waxy,citrus...a few others that I like are,Glen Garioch 12..48%,Deanston 12...46.3%...any Glenfarclas,Aberlour,Auchentoshan 3 Wood..Talisker 18...Highland Park 18..Old Pulteney 17...Dalwhinnie 15...should be enough to be getting on with!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Joe1 

Oak and oil. When someone says that to me I immediately thinks about Edradour and their various expressions. Some love Edradour while some hate them so maybe it is best to try a glass of Edradour at a local pub for example before buying a bottle.

• Joe1
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn @Ian_Crombie thank you friend for help me with that. Ill give it try i already bought the DALMORE 18 which is vvery fully.oily, sweet and also little oak and spicyvery good one bow i need give a try to the other whiskeys. (The 15 yo very diassapointing)